Wednesday, October 30, 2019

2019 Fantasy Football Week 9 Rankings

Image result for lamar jackson patriotsThe bye weeks haven't felt too bad yet, have they?  The NFL eased us into it way back in Week 4 with just the Jets and Niners on bye.  There were other weeks sprinkled in there with only two teams on bye, including just the Ravens and Cowboys last week.  But those days are over.  There are 4 teams off in Week 9 and then 6 teams off next week!  Then four more teams are off again in each week after that.  Luckily that's all over after Week 12, but until then you'll have to navigate with the waiver wire and you might want to consider even making a trade (*gasp*).

And if you haven't started looking a week ahead, now is the time.  In fact, try to make a trade with someone who you might be playing in a couple of weeks.  If it means you can get an edge on an RB or WR spot over that opponent, why not?  Of course consider the long term impact too, but depending on your record, you might need that win in the next few weeks just to make the playoffs!  Oh and keep an eye on your league's trade deadline too because it's probably soon.

If you're not into trades, then at least work the waiver wire.  Don't only look ahead and pick up a defense for Week 10 (like I did with the Patriots off that week), but take a look at who gets dropped the next couple of weeks.  Other people might be forced to cut someone like Jared Goff (I did) or Saints D (someone else did in my money league).  You never know who might hit the waiver wire.  Maybe your team isn't getting hit hard with the byes until Week 11 or 12 and you can stash someone like Brandin Cooks who could find himself out multiple weeks with a concussion.  Their owner might be 4-4 and can't afford to waste the roster spot through the bye weeks.  Like I said...you never know.  Don't just look at waivers on Wednesday and forget about it until Sunday.  There could be guys available later in the week who were dropped on Wednesday.

OK.  Enough of the intro.  Short version is this: pay attention and keep grinding.

Let's do the rankings!







QBs
I had Ryan Tannehill as a top-10 play in Week 8 (+4 vs ECR), and I was 6 spots lower than the ECR on Kyler Murray.  Tannehill finished 11th and Kyler Murray 26th, so I was relatively right on those guys.  In fact I wrote that the Saints would beat the Cardinals 24-10, and a late Michael Thomas touchdown made the final score 31-9.  Pretty close!  This week I'm still a little high on Tannehill versus the ECR, but we'll see how the ECR shakes out come Sunday because it tends to be pretty variable as the week goes on.  

RBs
Image result for chris carson sadI wasn't too high/low on many RBs versus the ECR last week, but I was down on studs with bad matchups like Nick Chubb and Derrick Henry.  The ECR had them as top-12 plays, but I did not.  Neither finished as top-20 RBs in Week 8, and Henry especially struggled against Tampa's stout run defense.  The Seahawks face the Bucs this week, so Chris Carson is down in the rankings a bit for me.  I realize you're probably starting him regardless, but I'd much rather start Wilson/Lockett in DFS instead of Carson.  And I'm not ranking Chris Carson anywhere near a top-12 RB this week.  You can't make me!

WRs
I ended up being way down on T.Y. Hilton last week (-14 vs ECR), and he struggled against Denver (I assume mostly due to Chris Harris).  In fact, if it wasn't for a late scramble and deep pass by Brissett, Hilton would've easily finished outside of the top-50.  In my top-40 WRs, I was highest on Devante Parker (+14 vs ECR), but he wasn't great on MNF.  He finished ahead of T.Y. Hilton though!  :)

I'm not sure how many times I can be high on Phillip Dorsett before I finally give up on him, but maybe this is the last week!  But I don't think it will be.  I say he gets 60 yards and a score on Sunday night, and I'm ranking him in my top-30 (about 15 spots higher than the ECR).  I'm also super high on Danny Amendola, but I'm not sure if I'm being irrational or not.  Maybe I'll back off him a bit come Sunday, but for now I also have him as a top-30 WR.  Yeah that's right...

TEs
I thought Josh Hill would score against Arizona, which is why I was 7 spots higher than the ECR on him last week.  That didn't happen.  You know what else didn't happen?  Mike Gesicki having a decent game against the Steelers.  I was 13 spots higher on HIM versus the ECR, and now I'm really wondering why I was high on multiple Dolphins last week.  What was I thinking?!?

Image result for darren fells texansIf I could figure out how to rank tight ends better, I could probably be closer to top-30 or 40 in Expert Accuracy for the season.  As it is, I'm outside of the top-100 at the TE position, and it's really bringing me down!  I'm hoping I can at least crack the top-50 overall rankers in the next couple of weeks, so I have to just keep grinding.  As for the tight ends...while I like Darren Fells and Jason Witten more than the ECR this week, I'm not so sure you should take my advice on that due to my track record at the position.  But then again, it's the tight end position, right?  If you don't have one of the guys in my top-5 this week, just take your pick.  You can feel free to pick anyone from 8-18 off the waiver wire and see what happens!

DEFs
I didn't end up too high/low on defenses versus the ECR last week. This week I like the Browns as a top-10 play...like...EASILY.  I liked them when I thought Flacco was going to be the QB, but now against Brandon Allen?  Yes please!  In that same game, I'm down on the Broncos, as I think this is the week Cleveland gets back on track.  I'm looking for Nick Chubb to go off in this game and the Browns are going to score at will.  You heard me correctly  I know that sounds crazy with how this season has been going, but I just have a feeling...


Another good week for my ATS (5-4) & O/U (4-2) picks in Week 8.  Let's see if I can keep it rolling here in Week 9!






Cheers,
Bart

1 comment: