Wednesday, December 7, 2016

2016 Fantasy Football Week 14 Rankings

Well, the playoffs are set in my fantasy league, and we have two 6-7 teams in the top-6 this year.  Unfortunately for me, my team is not one of them.  I did finish strong after a bad losing streak in the middle of the season, and I ended up 6-7 as well.  But I missed the playoffs by 21 fantasy points!

Image result for kaepernick protesting week 13There are a lot of "IFs" and "BUTs" in fantasy football, but I really could've used more than 2 points from Kaepernick on Sunday.  That could've like, you know, GOTTEN ME INTO THE PLAYOFFS!!!  I guess he was protesting my fantasy team.  Oh well.  Like I said last week, I'll now have to live vicariously through my wife's fantasy team and see if she can bring home a championship this year.

The Browns and Titans are back in action, and all of the byes are finally over.  I'll continue to use extra bold font for those who just skim through these rankings, and I'll also continue to do my picks versus the spread at the end.

Let's get to it!

QBs
1.Tom Brady     
2.Drew Brees 
3.Aaron Rodgers     
4.Andrew Luck 
5.Russell Wilson   
6.Kirk Cousins
7.Matt Ryan 
8.Jameis Winston    
9.Philip Rivers  
10.Matthew Stafford   
11.Derek Carr   
12.Ben Roethlisberger  
13.Dak Prescott  
14.Colin Kaepernick 
15.Cam Newton 
16.Eli Manning
17.Andy Dalton  
18.Carson Palmer    
19.Tyrod Taylor
20.Marcus Mariota

Last week I continued to be down on Cam Newton versus the ESPN experts (ESPN #11, ME #16), but he wasn't one of my official picks.  For the record, he did finish 18th though.  For one more record, I'm down on him again (ESPN #9, ME #15).  But I'll give you someone different, as I don't want to talk about the same QBs every week.

My official picks in Week 13 were Eli Manning (ESPN #18, ME #12) and Matthew Stafford (ESPN #6, ME #14).  While Eli finished right about where the experts ranked him, he still finished better than Cam Newton...so THERE!  As for Stafford, he was a top-5 fantasy QB against the Saints.  So I was definitely wrong there.

I'm high on: Kirk Cousins (ESPN #11, ME #6)
I don't want to be high on my team's QB because it could make for double the sadness on Sunday, but I like Cousins a lot in this game.  Opposing quarterbacks have been feasting on Philly's D of late, with each of the last 3 getting at least 22 fantasy points against them.  And aside from Rodgers and Mariota, no fantasy QB has been hotter than Cousins in his last 4 or 5 games.  I think 300+ passing yards and 2 or 3 TDs is in the cards against the Eagles, and I hope it comes with a W!

Image result for roethlisberger snow sad
I'm down on: Ben Roethlisberger (ESPN #7, ME #12) 
Big Ben's home and road splits are obviously different this year (hint: he's way better at home).  He did have a pair of 3-TD performances in Washington and Indy, but he only has 2 touchdown passes in his other 4 road games COMBINED.  This week, the Steelers play in Buffalo, where it might be 30 degrees and snowing on Sunday.  This is not a great matchup for Roethlisberger, and even though he's been a top-10 fantasy QB since his Week 8 bye, I still don't see ranking him as highly as the ESPN experts did.
RBs
1.David Johnson
2.Le'Veon Bell  
3.Ezekiel Elliott 
4.LeSean McCoy 
5.DeMarco Murray
6.Devonta Freeman  
7.Melvin Gordon
8.Matt Forte 
9.Spencer Ware     
10.Jordan Howard  
11.Jeremy Hill 
12.Latavius Murray 
13.Lamar Miller 
14.Thomas Rawls                      
15.Jay Ajayi 
16.Doug Martin   
17.Carlos Hyde
18.Frank Gore
19.Mark Ingram        
20.Todd Gurley   
21.LeGarrette Blount   
22.Jonathan Stewart     
23.Devontae Booker   
24.Theo Riddick
25.Rob Kelley
26.Rashad Jennings 
27.Isaiah Crowell 
28.Tevin Coleman
29.Jerick McKinnon 
30.Terrance West 
31.Rex Burkhead
32.Kenneth Dixon 
33.Tim Hightower 
34.Darren Sproles
35.Bilal Powell 
36.T.J. Yeldon 
37.Dion Lewis 
38.Mike Gillislee
39.Matt Asiata 
40.Duke Johnson, Jr. 

Last week I was high on Doug Martin (ESPN #14, ME #6) and down on LeGarrette Blount (ESPN #9, ME #19).  As it turns out, both guys finished right next to each other in the top-15.  So...another bad pair of picks.  Moving on!

I'm high on: Rex Burkhead (ESPN #40, ME #31)
Image result for rex burkhead bengals
The Browns give up the second most fantasy points to RBs this season, so everyone loves Jeremy Hill this week, right?  But Hill has a combined 51 rushing yards on 35 attempts in the last two weeks...so what about Burkhead?  He gained 66 yards on just 12 touches last week against the Eagles, and I think he'll get plenty of chances against the Browns.  I like him as a sneaky FLEX play this week.

I'm down on: Rob Kelley (ESPN #18, ME #25) 
While I love Cousins and the passing game against Philly, I'm not as confident in the rushing attack.  Since Fat Rob went off against Green Bay in Week 11, he's averaged around 5 fantasy points in his last two games.  I hope I'm wrong here.  I hope we destroy Philly, and I'm fine being wrong about Cousins and Kelley.  But I think if we win (or lose for that matter), it'll be with a strong game in the air and not on the ground.
WRs
1.Antonio Brown
2.Mike Evans  
3.Odell Beckham, Jr.   
4.Julio Jones
5.Dez Bryant 
6.Jordy Nelson 
7.T.Y. Hilton 
8.Doug Baldwin  
9.Julian Edelman 
10.Amari Cooper 
11.Jamison Crowder  
12.Tyrell Williams
13.Brandin Cooks    
14.Michael Crabtree 
15.Donte Moncrief    
16.Michael Thomas
17.Golden Tate
18.Demaryius Thomas
19.Terrelle Pryor, Sr.  
20.Larry Fitzgerald  
21.DeAndre Hopkins 
22.Davante Adams     
23.Emmanuel Sanders 
24.Malcolm Mitchell   
25.Kenny Britt 
26.Kelvin Benjamin 
27.Brandon Marshall  
28.Jordan Matthews
29.DeSean Jackson 
30.Stefon Diggs
31.Rishard Matthews 
32.Brandon LaFell 
33.Tyler Lockett 
34.Allen Robinson 
35.Tyreek Hill 
36.Sammy Watkins 
37.Steve Smith, Sr.
38.DeVante Parker
39.Dontrelle Inman 
40.Sterling Shephard 
41.Randall Cobb   
42.Jarvis Landry
43.Tyler Boyd  
44.Mike Wallace  
45.Taylor Gabriel 
46.Pierre Garcon
47.Willie Snead
48.Anquan Boldin 
49.Ted Ginn, Jr.
50.Cole Beasley 

My picks were just rough all around last week, and WR was no different really.  I was high on Tyler Boyd (ESPN #41, ME #26), but he finished right around where ESPN ranked him.  As it turned out, Brandon LaFell was the only WR who caught a TD pass from Dalton against Philly.  I did say for Boyd that he had the potential for around 80 yards and a TD, and his floor was probably something like 50 yards and no TD.  He finished just a little higher than that floor.  As for Jarvis Landry (ESPN #32, ME #42), I continued to be down on him.  He still hasn't scored double-digit fantasy points since Week 3 against the Browns, but he did have 87 receiving yards in this game and squeaked inside the top-25 WRs in Week 13.  I'm not moving him up though.  Sorry...

Image result for tyler lockettI'm high on: Tyler Lockett (ESPN #52, ME #33)
Maybe I'm overreacting to one big game for Lockett, but I think you need to jump on his bandwagon before it's too late.  He finally looked healthy the other night, and I'm not sure there's a more explosive playmaker in the entire NFL (sorry, channeling my inner Chris Collinsworth there).  This week he gets to face a Green Bay secondary that should be called a tertiary (yes, working on my dad jokes).  I don't see how the ESPN guys almost completely ignored Lockett this week against the Packers.  Russell Wilson should light up that defense, and Lockett will be a big part of the game plan.

I'm down on: Larry Fitzgerald (ESPN #9, ME #20) 
I think the last time I was down on Fitz, he went off for 2 TDs on Thursday night football...with Drew Stanton at quarterback!  We'll see if I do better this time around, as Larry has really only had one decent game since that big Week 5 game against the 49ers.  The volume is there, but he typically is getting like 6 or 7 fantasy points.  In fact, in his 7 games since Week 5, he has fewer than 8 fantasy points in six of them!  To me, that's not a top-10 fantasy WR. 

TEs
1.Jimmy Graham   
2.Tyler Eifert 
3.Travis Kelce  
4.Delanie Walker
5.Cameron Brate 
6.Zach Ertz
7.Greg Olsen  
8.Antonio Gates
9.Ladarius Green
10.Eric Ebron
11.Kyle Rudolph 
12.Vernon Davis
13.Martellus Bennett  
14.C.J. Fiedorowicz 
15.Coby Fleener  
16.Jason Witten
17.Vance McDonald 
18.Dwayne Allen
19.Dennis Pitta
20.Jermaine Gresham

Image result for jordan reed injuredLast week I was high on Coby Fleener (ESPN #17, ME #8) and down on Jason Witten (ESPN #11, ME NOT RANKED).  Fleener finished as the # 8 TE, and Witten had ZERO fantasy points!  So yeah, I nailed the TE picks.  Speaking of nailing a pick, good job, ESPN!  You finally did it with Pitta!  It only took him 13 weeks to have a big game and nearly finish as the top TE for the week.  Your record with ranking Pitta is now 1-11 on the year.  Let's give em a round of applause...and to celebrate, I'm going to sneak him into my top-20. 

I'm not really too high or low on many TEs versus the ESPN experts this week, but I will say that if you own Jordan Reed, you better have a Plan B.  He's back at practice, but I really don't think he plays this week.  I think it's kind of crappy for all of the ESPN experts to rank him like a top-5 fantasy TE when I think he's probably 50/50 to play at best.  I'd at least pick up Vernon Davis or a guy like Ladarius Green, if available in your league.  Don't count on Reed being back this week.
DEF
1.Vikings
2.Bengals 
3.Broncos
4.Lions 
5.Patriots
6.Chiefs 
7.Cardinals 
8.Falcons
9.Dolphins 
10.Seahawks 
11.Steelers 
12.Ravens 
13.Bucs
14.Chargers
15.Titans

I stayed high on the Chiefs last week (ESPN #20, ME #10), even though they were playing in Atlanta.  Kansas City is basically fully healthy now on the defensive side of the ball, and no one is playing better than them right now on defense.  They finished as a top-10 fantasy defense in Week 13, and I'd roll them out there tomorrow night, even against a red hot Raider squad.  I think the Chiefs will win this game at home, and I don't see why they wouldn't rack up a handful of sacks and maybe even another TD in this one.

I was down on the Colts (ESPN #12, ME NOT RANKED), which is just not a good defensive unit.  But the Jets give up the most fantasy points to opposing defenses, and Monday night was no different.  In fact, it might've been even better for Indy, who got to face Bryce Petty most of the night.  Whether it was him or The Amish Rifle, it didn't matter.  The Jets couldn't do anything in this game, and it was downright embarrassing.  The Colts were a top-5 fantasy defense, and I was flat out wrong about this one.

Image result for chiefs defense berryI'm high on: Kansas City Chiefs (ESPN #16, ME #6)
I don't know why any of the experts would rank the Chiefs outside of their top-10.  They put up numbers last week in Atlanta, and they'll put up numbers tomorrow night against the Raiders.  Start em!


I'm down on: New York Jets (ESPN #11, ME NOT RANKED) 
The Jets are a bottom-5 fantasy defense on the year, and they looked absolutely terrible against the Colts on Monday night.  I think Kaepernick has a bounce back game at home against this bad defense, and I wouldn't feel comfortable starting them if this was my fantasy playoffs.

I was 9-7 against the point spreads in Week 12 and 8-7 last week.  Let's see if I can do a little better in Week 14!  My picks are in parentheses, and I put the right picks in BOLD. 

Week 13 results: 8-7
DAL @ MIN (DAL -3.5)
KC @ ATL (KC + 3.5)
DET @ NO (NO -5.5)
LA @ NE (NE -14)
DEN @ JAC (DEN -4.5)
HOU @ GB (GB -5.5)
PHI @ CIN (PHI -1.5)
MIA @ BAL (MIA +3.5)
SF @ CHI (SF +2.5)
BUF @ OAK (OAK -3)
NYG @ PIT (NYG +6)
WAS @ ARI (ARI -2.5)
TB @ SD (TB +4)
CAR @ SEA (SEA -6.5)
IND @ NYJ (NYJ +1)


Week 14 picks
OAK @ KC (KC -3)
PIT @ BUF (PIT -2)
DEN @ TEN (DEN +1)
WAS @ PHI (WAS even)
ARI @ MIA (ARI +1)
MIN @ JAC (MIN -3.5)
HOU @ IND (HOU +6.5)
SD @ CAR (CAR -1)
CIN @ CLE (CLE +6)
CHI @ DET (DET -8)
NYJ @ SF (SF -2.5)
NO @ TB (TB -2.5)
ATL @ LA (ATL -6)
SEA @ GB (GB +3)
DAL @ NYG (DAL -3)
BAL @ NE (NE -7)

Good luck to everyone in Week 14!  
(Yes, everyone...What?  I have a bye in the consolation bracket.)

Cheers,
Bart

No comments:

Post a Comment