Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Guys I'll Let Someone Else Draft, 2013 Edition

On this day last year, I did my first feature article (other than just rankings).  So I thought I’d stay on track and talk about the guys in 2013 who I’ll probably be letting someone else in my league draft.  Speaking of my draft (and staying on track), we had to move it up a couple of weeks this year, so I’ll need to be on the ball even more for the next 3 weeks.  Everyone in the league has a wedding, funeral, or some sort of mitzvah they’re always going to, and scheduling one of the greatest days of the year becomes harder and harder every season.  I got married myself back in October, so the days of destroying my own house in the name of fantasy football have come to an end (or at least put on hold until we get a bigger house).This year, we stepped it up and booked a cabin in the woods.  And it will be...awesome!

Anyway, after looking at early rankings from ESPN, Yahoo, and others, it looks like I have several players ranked much lower than the “experts”.  So I thought I’d take a few minutes to point out some of these guys, and maybe this will give you a little insight into my own early season rankings.  I’ll try to stay on top of things and do my “Guys I Might Reach For a Round Early” some time next week.  Hopefully I can get a few articles done before it’s time for my own draft, but it’s right around the corner.  Let's get to it!

Running Backs
Montee Ball and Le’Veon Bell: Last year, Greg Schiano hinted during the preseason that Doug Martin would be “the guy” for the Bucs in 2012.  As of right now, I haven’t heard anything like that from the Broncos or Steelers in reference to their draft picks this season.  If we do hear such news, my opinion might change on these two.  But until then, they’re both rookies who will be fighting for playing time on playoff-caliber teams…especially Denver.  They have a couple of other serviceable RBs in Hillman and Moreno, so I’m not so sure they give a big workload to Ball this season.  Time will tell.  As for Bell, I think he’s in a similar situation.  With Dwyer and Redman still in the mix, I don’t see the rookie getting the lion’s share of the carries.  If Ball or Bell are still around where I have them ranked, I might be taking a shot on them.  But with Doug Martin’s success last year and the experts ranking them so highly before training camp has even started, I think someone in my league will draft one of these rookies way higher than I’ll be considering taking them.

DeAngelo Williams: I could just about regurgitate what I wrote last year in this piece, but I’ll try to change it up a little bit.  For some reason, people are still ranking Williams in the mid-30s of the RBs.  I mean, I get it.  If you look at Jonathan Stewart’s ankle funny, it might snap.  But the Panthers must still believe in the former first rounder because they’re keeping him around.  Also, DeAngelo turned 30 years old earlier this year.  Stewart is still only 26.  Now, I’m not ranking Stewart very highly either, but I have him right around the mid-30s.  I think if any RB in Carolina will put up some numbers this season, it’ll be The Daily Show.  I think at best, Williams is a late-round handcuff if you end up drafting Stewart in the middle rounds.  With Cam running the show, best to avoid Panther RBs altogether though. 

Pierre Thomas: Last year I wrote that Pierre “might get 100 carries and a handful of TDs, but I think Mark Ingram becomes the Thunder to Sproles's Lightning this year.”  Well, Thomas actually got 105 carries and 2 TDs (one receiving) and a little over 800 yards from scrimmage.  The Saints let Chris Ivory go in the offseason, so I have to think either Ingram or Thomas gets an even bigger role this season (hint: I think it’s the younger guy).  Thomas might still get some burn and get 600-700 total yards and a random TD, but that’s just because he plays with Drew Brees.  Ingram had 4 of his 5 TDs last year in the last 7 games of the season.  Maybe that’ll translate into double digit touchdowns THIS season.  But I think Pierre’s days in New Orleans are numbered, and I won't be ranking him (much less drafting him).

Wide Receivers
Eric Decker: Last year, Eric Decker nearly doubled his production from the previous year.  Wait a second.  Let me rephrase that.  OK…  Last year, Peyton Manning nearly doubled Eric Decker’s production from the previous year (when he had Tebow throwing at his feet).  This season, Peyton has a new toy named Wes, and the old guys just might leave Decker wondering what happened to his increased production.  I think he’ll revert back to numbers closer to 2011 rather than 2012, but I feel like the experts are still ranking him based too much on last year’s stats.

James Jones: Last year I had Jones at the bottom of this list (and I was wrong).  I also had another Packer in this piece (Jordy), mostly because I didn’t want to chase those TDs from one year to the next.  This year, I’ll put James Jones here for pretty much the same reason.  I mean, there’s no denying he had 14 TDs last year, but I don’t think he’ll even come close to that this season.  Even with Greg Jennings leaving the harsh winters of Green Bay for the paradise known as Minneapolis, I see Cobb picking up that slack (not Jones).  Cobb scored 7 of his 8 touchdowns in 2012 during the weeks when Jennings missed time due to injury.  I think that trend continues for Cobb, and I think Finley will have a bounce-back year as well.  Both of those factors will contribute to Jones failing to reach double digit TDs in 2013.

A few more quick ones…
DeSean Jackson and Josh Gordon: I’m putting these two in the same category because I think they’re both idiots.  Maybe for different reasons, but idiots nonetheless.  Yes, both have crazy athletic ability.  But with 2 cent brains, I don’t want either on my fantasy team. 
Greg Little: Speaking of the Browns, if I’m not drafting Gordon, then I’m definitely not drafting any other WR who plays in Cleveland.
Malcom Floyd: Philip Rivers appears to be on the decline, and if I were to draft a receiver in San Diego, I’d take Alexander or Vincent Brown over Floyd.  I’m not drafting SD’s 4th option after those two (and Gates).
Santonio Holmes: Seriously?  I’m not drafting a Jets WR.  But if I did, it wouldn’t be Holmes.  It will never be Holmes...



Quarterbacks
Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick:  I talked about guys like Alex Smith and Joe Flacco in this piece last year.  I warned you about taking boring guys like that because they’re not going to win you a fantasy championship (and there would be QBs just as good on the waiver wire, so don’t even waste a pick on them).  I said you should take a risk on someone like Andrew Luck or RGIII instead.  Sounds like pretty good advice for 2012.  Well for 2013, I’m doing a complete 360 with young guns Wilson and Kaepernick.  I’m not saying you shouldn’t draft these guys.  I’m sure they’ll have solid seasons.  They may even finish in the top-10 fantasy QBs.  Let me say that again: They may even finish in the top-10 fantasy QBs.  In case you couldn’t tell, I’m not 100% confident they’ll do that.  After my top 5 or 6 ranked QBs, I have a lot of guys ranked about the same: Kaepernick, RGIII, Wilson, Luck, Romo, and Stafford.  I even think a guy like Eli Manning could bounce back and sneak inside the top-10 this year.  The fact is, Wilson and Kaepernick are going way too early with the middle round QBs who will be available.  Maybe one of those younger guys will help you win your league this year, but I think the price is too high because I think there are plenty of others who can do that who are getting drafted a little later.

Tight Ends
Kyle Rudolph: Last year I was pretty wrong in this article about tight ends (see Tony Gonzalez, and to a lesser extent Owen Daniels).  We’ll see if I can redeem myself with these picks.  I drafted Antonio Gates last year, so I feel like I’m somewhat of an expert on underperforming tight ends.  I also had Kyle Rudolph for a good portion of last year (since Gates was so horrible, I had to do something).  While Rudolph had three or four solid games for me during the stretch I owned him, he also had just as many (if not more) where he just didn’t show up.  Because of that, I can’t see drafting Rudolph as highly as he’s being ranked by others.  I think after Jimmy Graham, there are a lot of question marks at the tight end position.  I have Rudolph outside of my top-10 TEs, so there’s virtually no way I’ll end up with him this year.

Jermaine Gresham: This is a guy I liked in 2012, but I guess the Bengals didn’t like him that much.  They drafted Tyler Eifert in the first round of this year’s draft, and I’m sure they did that for a reason.  I don’t think Eifert is going to take over right away, but he’s going to cut into Gresham’s targets for sure.  If I end up waiting on a tight end, I’m taking Fred Davis or Brandon Pettigrew before I look at a Bengals tight end this year.



I’m not going to give you a Defense…but I’ll give you a kicker!
Connor Barth: Oh kickers: the red-headed stepchildren of fantasy football.  If anyone in your league takes a kicker before the last round, feel free to ridicule them at no end.  The only reason I mention one here is because inevitably in some league…somewhere…someONE will draft Connor Barth.  Don’t be that guy.  I’ve said this before, but don’t spend too much time thinking about which kicker to take anyway.  You’re going to waive him when his bye week comes, and predicting kicker fantasy points from week to week (or even year to year) is like a drunk toddler throwing darts at…something.  I don’t know.  Just go with it.  Bottom line is this: Barth tore his right Achilles tendon and is done for the year, but that doesn’t mean every fantasy football magazine that was written in June and July will have that updated because it just happened in the past week.  Yes, kids.  Some people still get fantasy football magazines.  They’re called old people and they don’t know what a blog is and the internet frustrates and confuses them.  If you’re one of those old people with a magazine, pay attention to something more current than a summer-released fantasy football article about kickers and don’t be that guy drafting Barth.  You’ll look like a damn fool.



Cheers,
Bart

No comments:

Post a Comment