Friday, August 24, 2012

Fantasy Island: Grantland Challenge

It's Friday, and that usually means another rankings update...but you'll have to wait until Monday for those.  The third preseason games are being played around the league this weekend (typically regular season dress rehearsals), so I'd like to wait and see if there are any storylines that might impact my rankings before I update them for the sake of updating.

Today I'd like to share with you an article I submitted for the Grantland Challenge.  I figured I was already blogging anyway, so I might as well give it a shot.  As I was writing the article that is pasted below, I quickly realized that keeping yourself tied to a very specific topic and 750 word count is not as easy as I thought it would be.  I got through an intro and four of my six players, and I was already well north of 1000 words.  So the finished product here is a highly edited version of something that I would typically write, but maybe that's a good thing.  Let me know what you think!



I've never been to Coldstone Creamery.  [My fiancée glares at me in disbelief.]

The only knowledge I have of it comes from Aziz Ansari's standup.  Lately while updating my fantasy football rankings, I’m reminded of the sizes of ice cream he says they serve:  "Like It", "Love It"…….and "Gotta Have It!!!!!"

Today I'm focusing on the Gotta Have Its.  If you’re doing an auction or have a top pick in your draft, you want to know which players you should target and why you must own them.  You need one of these players like you need air, water, and yes, food.  Think of these players as your five major food groups, and I'll even throw in something extra at the end.

1. Arian Foster (Fats, Oils, Sweets):
Unless he tweets a picture of his hamstring completely obliterated, Foster's going to stay at the top of the food chain.  Not only can you count on 300+ carries and 1000+ yards on the ground, but this guy has over 600 yards receiving in each of his last two seasons.  Have you ever had a bad piece of chocolate or a cheeseburger that wasn't delicious?  Of course you haven't!   Foster will be that good, and you won't feel guilty for having him on your squad like you might after that burger.

2. Ray Rice (Meat, Eggs, Nuts, Beans):
Rice may not be the most glamorous guy, but he has everything you need to fuel your fantasy team.  If he were a steak, he'd be an irresistible Petit Filet on draft day.  I think he'll end up with 20 total TDs, and whereas Foster has a solid backup, Baltimore should have an unproven rookie as the second stringer.  There's no one to vulture touchdowns from Ray, and he’ll have no problem muscling his way in himself.

3. LeSean McCoy (Fruits and Vegetables):
As a Redskins fan, I inherently don't want anything to do with McCoy.  But you know what?  I know that LeSean, much like a vegetable, is going to be good for me.   The guy had 20 TDs last year.  Twenty!  If he was a wide receiver, I'd say there's no way he'll repeat that.  But for a running back, it's very possible.  And when I look past these top three backs, I see a lot of questions marks: holdouts, injuries, timeshares, and poor 2011 performances.  Get one of the big three if you can.

4. Aaron Rodgers (Milk, Yogurt, Cheese):
When it comes to Aaron Rodgers, there is no question he will do your body good.  (That came out wrong.  I tried to make a milk commercial reference, and it didn't work.  Can we just go with it?  OK cool.)  If you miss out on one of the top 3 running backs, you need to start thinking about one of the top 3 quarterbacks.  The difference between the top 3 QBs and the rest of the field is huge, just as it is with the RBs.  Also realize that Rodgers is still younger than rookie Brandon Weeden, and he’s been a top QB for, well, every year he's been a starter.   It’s a no brainer.

5. Tom Brady (Breads, Cereals, Grains):
This is the most boring food group, but also one of the most important.  We might be splitting hairs between Rodgers, Brady, and Brees, but the point is that you need one of these guys to anchor your team.  Brady’s receiving corps is actually improved with the subtraction of Ocho Cinco/addition of Brandon Lloyd, and there's still Welker, Gronk, and Hernandez to throw to.   I think he’s a boring first round pick, but he could also throw 50 TDs and win you a fantasy football championship.


Jared Cook (potential anabolic steroid for your fantasy team):
At 6’5”/250 lbs, Cook and his 4.4-40 have been hyped up for some time now.  He’s never had 50 receptions in a season (or more than 3 TDs), but that’s why they call them “sleepers”!  With such a premium on guys like Graham and Gronk, you could strike gold ten rounds later in your draft with a guy like Cook.  When Jake Locker took over the team at the end of 2011, Jared started to wake up.  In just three games, the two connected 21 times for 245 yards and a score.  Locker has now been named the starter, and with Britt potentially out to start the season, these two could hook up early and often like cast members from The Real World. 

Yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment