Friday, August 10, 2012

2012 Fantasy Football Rankings v2.0


Just before last weekend, Matthew Berry posted on his Facebook page asking people to comment on his early rankings (who he should consider moving up or down).  I suggested that he move Brandon Lloyd up about ten spots (he was at 40th or so), and I thought he had Reuben Randle WAY too high (95th I believe) when he'll probably be getting very few targets behind Nicks and Cruz in that offense.  The next day, he posts his updated Top 200.  Brandon Lloyd is now ranked 29th, and Reuben Randle fell all the way to 163rd!  I don't  know if the TMR reads those posts or if he and I were just thinking along the same lines, but it got me thinking about my own rankings even more and how I need to make some big moves in this update.

We're going to version 2.0, baby!!!

If I'm writing about guys who I'll reach for a round early or absolutely won't consider drafting, then I want to make sure they're ranked appropriately for me.  Even for guys who I haven't mentioned, I need to really make these MY rankings and not worry about what expert rankings look like.  Keep in mind, I think it's very important to look at other rankings out there because you don't want to miss something obvious, and it's great to have different perspectives.  You can never have too much information when it comes to this stuff, as long as you can sort through it all in a quasi-rational way.  For most of us, this isn't our full time job (or even a part time job).  I think it's a great idea to follow both real and fantasy football experts on facebook, twitter, etc.  They're going to be all over that little tidbit of information that might not make the headlines on Sportscenter, and sometimes a little nugget about what a coach is saying about his rookie running back could move him up or down a few spots on the big board.

I've decided to add comments to every player again (except for kickers and defenses), seeing as how this is a major version upgrade.  Also, since my own personal league is a 12-teamer with 14 rounds, I decided to break my rankings up into three groups:
1. Top-120 (rounds 1-10, including keepers...this should be the cream of the crop)
2. 121-168 (rounds 11-14...typically full of RB handcuffs, defenses, and kickers)
3. A few more (these will be guys who fall outside of my personal big board, but I'll keep them here because they could move up depending on injury, free agent signing, etc.)

My very own top-168ish in a new and (hopefully) improved format.  Enjoy!


1. Arian Foster: Unless he tweets a picture of his destroyed hamstring, I'll keep him at #1.
2. Ray Rice: Still very tempted to put Sweet Baby Ray at #1.  I think he'll average a TD/game.
3. LeSean McCoy: If I did have a top pick in my draft, I'd take him over one of the big 3 QBs.
4. Aaron Rodgers: After the big 3 RBs, Rodgers is the clear #1 QB when it comes to fantasy.
5. Tom Brady: More weapons than Brees and no proven RBs to get in the endzone instead of WRs/TEs.
6. Drew Brees: A ssuper safe bet in the first round to anchor your squad.
7. Calvin Johnson: I know it's crazy, but I'm a believer in the Madden Curse.  Down slightly.
8. Chris Johnson: Lots of doubters out there, but I still think he comes back with some big numbers.
9. Darren McFadden: There's obviously injury risk here, but I think he's a first round fantasy RB.
10.Jimmy Graham: I think he'll exceed last year's numbers (well worth a first round pick).
11.Rob Gronkowski: Not sure if Gronk exceeds last year, but I'd still try to get one of these TEs early.
12.Maurice Jones-Drew: The holdout will end one way or another, but it puts him behind the 8 ball.
13.Larry Fitzgerald: Playing it safe with the #2 WR on the big board.  Super consistent.
14.Greg Jennings: Hopefully concussion not an issue.  In a contract year.  Should be a good one.
15.Brandon Marshall:  I'll just go all in with Marshall.  BE BOLD!
16.Matt Forte: Bush will get goal line duty, but Forte will still rack up the yards/fantasy points.
17.Steven Jackson: People might've been a year off for the Rams sleeper pick. Let's see some TDs!
18.Jamaal Charles: This guy was a top pick a year ago.  I smell redemption.
19.Green-Ellis: Imagine 300 carries for this guy, which he's never had.  He's 2008 Michael Turner.
20.Ahmad Bradshaw: Interested to see if David Wilson gets in the mix, but Bradshaw still #1.
21.DeMarco Murray: The TDs will come. If healthy, Murray could be top-5 RB.  High risk/reward.
22.Matthew Stafford: Still like him as best option after top 3 QBs, but wouldn't reach as high.
23.Michael Vick: I decided to make this my second group of 3 QBs if I miss out on the first tier.
24.Cam Newton: The sad thing is, all three of these QBs might be kept in my league...
25.Adrian Peterson: Can't believe I rank him this low, but the injury is a big concern, even with him.
26.Michael Turner: I don't want to get too down on Turner.  Getting older, but numbers are so good.
27.Ryan Mathews: Glass Joe broke his clavicle on his first preseason carry (a keeper of mine *sigh*) 
28.Roddie White: More Fitzgerald-like consistency. Jones may surpass, but not much risk here.
29.Andre Johnson: I want him to stay healthy so badly (if he's on my team, which he won't be)
30.Julio Jones: Freak athlete with bigger breakout potential than AJ Green, in my opinion.
31.Wes Welker: Dropping a little because I think Lloyd eats in to some of his fantasy value.
32.Brandon Lloyd: My #9 WR.  I gotta put my money where my mouth is!
33.AJ Green: Typically I don't trust a guy who goes by only initials, but I'll make an exception.
34.Hakeem Nicks: He's now my "healthy" keeper?!?  Just give me 16 games, Hakeem. Please!!!
35.Trent Richardson: The knee worries me, but we're in keeper territory now...
36.Victor Cruz: I like what I saw from him and Eli last year, and I think it can continue.
37.Frank Gore: His receiving yards last year worry me, along with all of the good backup RBs in SF.
38.Marshawn Lynch: I moved him down a little too much in haste, but still pending punishment.
39.Reggie Bush: In a contract year, I think he could do it again if he stays healthy.  Big "if" I guess.
40.Dez Bryant: Assuming no suspension or other distractions, Dez in for a big year.
41.Antonio Gates: I think I'd wait for Gates until about here. Big difference in tier 1 vs 2 TEs.
42.Jason Witten: I like him about as much as I like Gates, so he belongs right behind him.
43.Percy Harvin: He and Ponder developed a nice connection, and with AP's injury, I like him more.
44.Demaryius Thomas: I'm taking a chance that Peyton pads his numbers a lot.
45.Marques Colston: Should get a few more looks with Meachem gone.
46.Tony Romo: If I didn't have a QB at this point in my draft, I'd take Romo here.
47.Darren Sproles: I think Ingram busts out this year, but Sproles will still get plenty of points.
48.Isaac Redman: As long as Mendenhall not in the mix, Redman should get 300+ touches.
49.Fred Jackson: I don't want to get too low on Fred, even though I rank Spiller very high.
50.Willis McGahee: He's getting up there in age, but he's still the starter in Denver (for now).
51.Doug Martin: Training camp buzz has him as a feature back, but Blount #1 on depth chart?
52.Dwayne Bowe: As long as Cassell stays healthy, I like Bowe to have a better season than last year.
53.Steve Smith: Had a great year with Cam.  Looking to do it again.
54.Antonio Brown: I'll bump him up here with this tier of WRs.  Wallace holdout boosts his value.
55.Jeremy Maclin: Just had him too low. Especially since I dropped DeSean, makes sense he climbs.
56.Jordy Nelson: I have him lower than most, but I think this is where he belongs realistically.
57.Stevan Ridley: Someone has to be the starter in New England.  I ain't scared of Belichick!!!
58.Beanie Wells: Just came off the PUP list.  Should be the starter, but this low due to injury concern.
59.Philip Rivers: If you still don't have a QB yet, great value here in Rivers. Has great weapons.
60.Torrey Smith: He's becoming Flacco's main target, and chicks dig the long ball.
61.Eric Decker: I might be wrong on ranking Demaryius higher, but I think Decker fits around here.
62.Vincent Jackson: Should be #1 WR in TB, but Williams could rebound too.
63.Stevie Johnson: Still the main man in Buffalo, and they will get behind and have to go to the air.
64.Miles Austin: Hamstring worries me a little, but if he gets healthy, great complement to Dez.
65.Vernon Davis: Moving this third tier of TEs down a bit, but HE is best receiver for the Niners.
66.Jermichael Finley: Rodgers spreads it around a lot, but he'll get his.
67.Aaron Hernandez: Same for Brady.  In other offenses, I think I'd have him much higher.
68.Donald Brown: I like his opportunity to be feature back. If Indy can move the ball, who knows?
69.James Starks: Same with Starks.  No one seems to be challenging him for the gig.
70.CJ Spiller: Probably going to have to reach to get him, but great keeper potential.
71.Peyton Hillis: I think he can still get solid numbers.  Good split situation in KC with Charles.
72.Mark Ingram: I like how the Saints used him inside the 20 in first preseason game.
73.Toby Gerhart: If AP doesn't make it back strong this year, Gerhart could be a steal this late.
74.Eli Manning: Probably a little low for Eli.  Someone else will probably get him before the 70s.
75.Peyton Manning: Same for big brother.  I think he'll go in the 4th or 5th round, which is crazy.
76.Mike Wallace: Another guy in territory where he'll get drafted before this by someone else.
77.DeShaun Jackson: There's a theme here in the mid-70s. I think his best days are behind him.
78.Pierre Garcon: I think he and RGIII will connect a few times this season, at least I hope so.
79.Reggie Wayne: Still the best WR in Indy. Don't sleep on Luck with all of the RGIII hype.
80.Shonn Greene: Pretty low for a feature back, but I think Tebow will get goal line carries.
81.Michael Bush: I think we could see 8-10 TDs from Bush this season. Nice middle rounder.
82.Kevin Smith: Possibly the lead RB in Detroit to start, and I might need someone for weeks 1-3...
83.Ryan Williams: If he's healthy and Beanie isn't, he could fall right into the every down role.
84.Jared Cook: People are going to start reaching for tight ends, and I'll reach for him.
85.RGIII: I'd take a chance on him at this point, though someone might sooner. Interesting keeper too.
86.Darrius Heyward-Bey: A lot of Carson Palmer love floating around, making DHB interesting.
87.Anquan Boldin: Still will get a lot of targets from Flacco.  A boring pick that will pay dividends.
88.Lance Moore: Not sure where others will be ranking Moore, but I think he'll have a solid year.
89.Montario Hardesty: Not sure TRich gets entire workload, especially now with the knee injury.
90.Mikel Leshoure: If Best out indefinitely, Leshoure could step in Week 3 in a big way.
91.Fred Davis: Should be in for a big year with the rookie QB.
92.Matt Ryan: One of the last few decent options as a starting QB, and that's not saying much.
93.Robert Meachem: I'm going to hold off on falling in love with him until Rivers does.
94.Greg Little: Maybe a stretch all the way to top 100, but I'm going out on a limb with him.
95.Mike Williams: Remedy for the sophomore slump is another WR to take some pressure off.
96.Denarius Moore: If I'm believing in Palmer/DHB, gotta believe a little in Moore too.
97.Lagarette Blount: I'm not convinced the rookie (Martin) is going to be an every down back.
98.Ben Tate: Houston can run the ball, and I think Tate will still get plenty of touches.
99.Roy Helu: Gun to my head, have to pick a Skins RB, I'll take Helu.  The cream rises to the top.
100.Ronnie Brown: Pretty high for the veteran, but I might need him week 1 if Mathews is out.
101.David Wilson: Might be a little high to take a flier, but could have nice role in Giants offense.
102.Brandon Pettigrew: A really athletic tight end in an offense that will throw a ton.
103.Robert Turbin: Still possible Lynch gets suspension and/or is just lazy all year.
104.Daniel Thomas: Reggie Bush gets injured quite a bit.  Thomas could get another shot at position.
105.Rashad Jennings: Only ranking this high because MJD still holding out.  Will monitor closely.
106.Jacob Tamme: Again banking on Peyton being healthy, but he and Tamme have done it before.
107.Coby Fleener: Luck's safety net should have a solid rookie season, and might be a nice keeper.
108.Jermaine Gresham: Another athletic tight end with a QB who will need to dump it off some.
109.Tony Gonzalez: Probably the last year Gonzo gets ranked.  Not a ton of upside, but solid.
110.Malcom Floyd: Don't see him having a breakout year, but probably solid numbers.
111.Jon Baldwin: Him I could see having a breakout year, which could be 900 yards and 7 or 8 TDs.
112.Sidney Rice: Definitely an injury risk, but this late, not a bad talent who could put up big numbers.
113.Randall Cobb: After Greg and Jordy, Cobb should step into that #3 slot (and plenty to go around).
114.Jacquizz Rodgers: Turner workload could catch up with him, and some will go to Rodgers.
115.Ronnie Hillman: Not sure Willis can handle 300 touches at his age.  Hillman could get a shot.
116.Jay Cutler: Has a "new" toy in Marshall and a new coach who'll run and take off pressure.
117.Josh Freeman: Vincent Jackson and Doug Martin only help his value.  He'll rebound.
118.Andrew Luck: People are sleeping on Luck, but who knows what he'll do this year? 
119.Big Ben: Still have to rank him, but I don't have to rank him high (and I don't have to like it).
120.Carson Palmer: I replaced Schaub with him. Who does Schaub throw to in Houston? Exactly.



121.Titus Young: If Stafford has another big year, Young's numbers could improve.
122.Nate Washington: I'm not too excited about any Titan WR, but Nate could put up best numbers.
123.Justin Blackmon: A huge talent with not much sense.  Really a flier who might turn into a keeper.
124.Michael Crabtree: He's like the Justin Blackmon of 3 or 4 years ago.  Still a lot of talent here.
125.Kenny Britt: I guess I can't leave him out of top 168, but I doubt I'll end up with him...
126.Mario Manningham: I don't believe Randy Moss is looking like the best WR on that team.
127.Chad Johnson: Maybe everyone jumped on Chad a year too early.  Garrard can get him the ball.
128.Brandon LaFell: There could finally be a #2 WR in Carolina.  Worth a shot.
129.Michael Floyd: Not sure if the Notre Dame rookie is NFL-ready, but in a decent fantasy situation.
130.DeAngelo Williams: I guess this is low enough that I might actually draft a Carolina back.
131.Jonathan Stewart: So I'll go ahead and put Stewart here too.  
132.Mike Goodson: McFadden could get injured, and Goodson has some fresh legs to fill in.  
133.Shane Vereen: I might be too high on Ridley, so might be a good idea to scoop up Vereen. 
134.Felix Jones: Don't like how he showed up to camp.  This could change to Tanner.
135.Isaiah Pead: An interesting handcuff if SJax pulls a hammy or something else.
136.Alex Green: I guess he's the backup to have in Green Bay.  Kuhn could be better option.
137.Kendall Hunter: Lots of good RBs in San Fran, but Hunter showed good signs last year.
138.Tim Hightower: Everyone's big on Royster, but I still like Hightower after Helu.  Who knows?
139.Delone Carter: Not sure why I'm so high on Donald Brown, but not a bad idea to get Carter here.
140.Bernard Scott: I'm really high on The Law Firm.  Scott only has value as a handcuff.
141.Dion Lewis: McCoy handcuff.  You better have him just in case early on.
142.Bernard Pierce: Same for this guy if you draft the Baltimore RB with your first pick.
143.Javon Ringer: It's the round of handcuffs, and he's the guy to back up CJ.
144.Jonathan Dwyer: I might even move him up, seeing as how Redman isn't too proven.
145.Bears DEF
146.Jets DEF
147.Eagles DEF
148.49ers DEF
149.Steelers DEF
150.Ravens DEF
151.Bills DEF
152.Seahawks DEF
153.Patriots DEF
154.Packers DEF
155.Texans DEF
156.Lions DEF
157.Gostkowski (bye:9)
158.Akers (bye:9)
159.Prater (bye:7)
160.Bailey (bye:5)
161.Janikowski (bye:5)
162.Henery (bye:7)
163.Bryant (bye:7)
164.Crosby (bye:10)
165.Gould (bye:6)
166.Rackers (bye:10)
167.Bironas (bye:11)
168.Hanson (bye:5)

...and in no particular order, here are some guys who didn't quite make the cut (but let's keep an eye on them just in case they do in a week or two)

Santonio Holmes
David Nelson
Kendall Wright
Mohamed Sanu
Brian Quick 
Danny Amendola 
Nate Burleson 
Austin Collie  
Jerome Simpson  
Reuben Randle
Doug Baldwin
Leonard Hankerson
Santana Moss
Vincent Brown
Jahvid Best
Mike Tolbert
Lamar Miller
Curtis Brinkley
Evan Royster
Pierre Thomas
Taiwan Jones
Cedric Benson
Ryan Grant

No comments:

Post a Comment