Wednesday, November 2, 2016

2016 Fantasy Football Week 9 Rankings

Some fantasy losses are just more frustrating than others.  Losing by a point sucks.  Losing by a point when you score the second most fantasy points for the week is even worse.  Thankfully, neither of those things happened to me in Week 8, but I still had an annoying loss nonetheless as my team fell to 4-4 on the year.

Image result for russell wilson frustratedI started Russell Wilson against the Saints, but he continued his terrible play and finished with single digit fantasy points for the fourth time this season.  I struggled with my flex position (too many good options!), and I ended up starting James White over Travis Kelce.  It seemed like White was the only Patriot not to score against the Bills on Sunday (he even dropped what would have been a wide open TD in the second half).  As for Kelce, he ended up with 100 yards and a TD.  Oh, and I sat Jordan Howard against the Vikings.  He just finished as the #1 fantasy RB in Week 8.  Julio Jones only having 29 receiving yards also hurt.  But what are you gonna do, right?  I lost by 12 points or so, and starting Kelce or Howard would have gotten me the win.  But that's fantasy football.

This week there are 6 more teams on a bye, so my options are a bit more limited.  I actually like having fewer options because I won't be able to second guess myself as much...except for maybe at the quarterback position.

But enough about my team.  Let's get to the rankings!

BYE: Arizona, Chicago, Cincinnati, Houston, New England, Washington

QBs
1.Aaron Rodgers  
2.Matt Ryan 
3.Drew Brees   
4.Andrew Luck   
5.Cam Newton
6.Ben Roethlisberger
7.Jameis Winston 
8.Phillip Rivers 
9.Dak Prescott 
10.Marcus Mariota  
11.Derek Carr 
12.Eli Manning 
13.QB Browns 
14.Russell Wilson   
15.Colin Kaepernick 
16.Matthew Stafford 
17.Tyrod Taylor  
18.Blake Bortles 
19.Ryan Tannehill 
20.Nick Foles

I was spot on with Mariota last week (ESPN #14, ME #9), as he finished in the top-10.  But I was down on Carson Palmer (ESPN #12, ME #17), who actually threw for 3 TDs after doing virtually nothing for nearly the entire first half.  Those numbers are good in fantasy even if they mean nothing in a game in which you're getting stomped.  I'd take anything from the QB position right now, as my frustration level for Russell Wilson has reached an all time high!!!

Image result for cody kessler josh mccown brownsI'm high on: QB Browns (ESPN outside of top-20, ME #13)
As of this writing, I don't know if this will be Josh McCown or Cody Kessler (if he's cleared to play).  Either way, I'm actually considering starting one of these guys in Week 9 because I'm looking at Eli Manning or Russell Wilson.  Right now I'm giving the slight edge to Eli, but I think either Cleveland QB should be a strong play against a Dallas secondary that just lost Morris Claiborne and Barry Church to injuries.  And while I still like the Dallas defense against the Browns, I also like the fact that Cleveland should be getting Corey Coleman back from injury this week.  Mark my words, "QB Browns" will be a borderline top-10 fantasy QB this week.

I'm down on: Matthew Stafford (ESPN #11, ME #16) 
Insert QB playing against the Vikings here.  Minnesota is giving up the 3rd fewest fantasy points to opposing signal callers this year.  Also, Stafford has less than 300 yards and only one TD in each of his last two games.  I'm not trusting him as much as the ESPN experts are this week.
RBs
1.Ezekiel Elliott
2.DeMarco Murray   
3.Le'Veon Bell 
4.Devontae Booker 
5.Charcandrick West
6.Melvin Gordon 
7.Devonta Freeman  
8.Jay Ajayi   
9.Todd Gurley
10.Matt Forte  
11.Christine Michael 
12.Jonathan Stewart  
13.Carlos Hyde
14.LeSean McCoy 
15.Frank Gore     
16.Theo Riddick  
17.Isaiah Crowell 
18.Terrance West             
19.Latavius Murray       
20.Mark Ingram  
21.Rashad Jennings 
22.Antone Smith 
23.Tim Hightower 
24.Matt Asiata  
25.Darren Sproles    
26.Jerick McKinnon     
27.Ryan Mathews   
28.Bilal Powell  
29.Chris Ivory 
30.Duke Johnson 
31.TJ Yeldon   
32.C.J. Prosise  
33.Derrick Henry
34.Mike Gillislee
35.Peyton Barber 

Last week I was high on Giovani Bernard (ESPN #20, ME #14), and I said I could see both him and Hill having plenty of value against my Redskins in London.  Well, both RBs finished in the top-15, but Hill actually did just a hair better than Gio.  Either way, I was right in ranking Bernard higher than the ESPN experts did.  Once again I whiffed on the guy I was down on though, Mike Gillislee (ESPN #18, ME #23), as I thought he wouldn't completely dominate the touches with Shady out.  Well he ended up with 15 touches for nearly 100 total yards and a touchdown, and he was a top-10 fantasy RB.  Oops!

I'm high on: Charcandrick West (ESPN #19, ME #5)
Image result for charcandrick westThis one is somewhat misleading because a few of the experts ranked West highly, but none as highly as I have him.  Also, a few of them ranked him quite low (since they are assuming Spencer Ware will play).  I felt the need to point out that there is no way in hell Spencer Ware is playing this week.  The Chiefs went and signed BISHOP SANKEY off New England's practice squad.  Granted, they also placed Jamaal Charles on IR.  But the writing is on the walls, people.  Alex Smith is missing this week, and so is Ware.  Charcandrick is in line for a huge workload against a horrible Jags run defense.

I'm down on: Mark Ingram (ESPN #14, ME #20) 
I don't know if the ESPN guys noticed, but Ingram got straight up benched last week in favor of Tim Hightower.  Ordinarily I would have ranked Ingram in my top-10 against San Fran, but not after Hightower looks to be in line for a bigger timeshare for the second week in a row.  I'd much rather start someone who I feel like I know will get way more carries.
WRs
1.Julio Jones 
2.Antonio Brown
3.Mike Evans 
4.Odell Beckham, Jr.  
5.Dez Bryant 
6.Jordy Nelson 
7.Brandin Cooks  
8.Brandon Marshall   
9.TY Hilton  
10.Jarvis Landry
11.Randall Cobb 
12.DeMaryius Thomas 
13.Donte Moncrief    
14.Emmanuel Sanders
15.Kelvin Benjamin 
16.Terrelle Pryor, Sr. 
17.Allen Robinson
18.Amari Cooper 
19.Davante Adams 
20.Stefon Diggs 
21.Michael Thomas 
22.Ty Montgomery
23.Jordan Matthews 
24.Michael Crabtree    
25.Doug Baldwin 
26.Tyrell Williams 
27.Marvin Jones Jr. 
28.Willie Snead 
29.Jeremy Maclin   
30.Mike Wallace
31.Quincy Enunwa 
32.Corey Coleman  
33.Kenny Britt
34.Sammie Coates
35.Kendall Wright 
36.Dontrelle Inman
37.Rishard Matthews
38.Golden Tate 
39.Allen Hurns   
40.Travis Benjamin  
41.Mohamed Sanu
42.Tyreek Hill

Jordan Matthews (ESPN #28, ME #21) continued his good play against Dallas and had a big night with 11 catches for 65 yards and a touchdown.  He was easily a top-20 fantasy WR in Week 8.  I said it was time to stop ranking DeSean Jackson (ESPN #35, ME NOT RANKED), and if you were looking for a Redskins WR to start against Cincy it was Jamison Crowder.  Well I was right on point there too, as DeSean only had 3 catches for 48 yards (outside of the top-50 WRs) and Crowder went for over 100 yards and a score (and was a top-5 fantasy WR!).  Finally I nailed two picks in one position!  And guess what?  I did it with the tight end spot too.  Whoop!

Image result for kendall wright gI'm high on: Kendall Wright (ESPN #55, ME #35)
In case you hadn't noticed, Marcus Mariota has been on fire lately.  And his best receiver in two of his last three games has been Kendall Wright.  Tajae Sharpe and Rishard Matthews were more involved against Indy in Week 7, but it was Wright who averaged over 100 yards and a TD in Weeks 6 and 8.  I like for him to have another good week in San Diego, and I'm really surprised the ESPN experts are barely ranking him yet.

I'm down on: DeVante Parker (ESPN #32, ME NOT RANKED) 
This guy has a ton of talent, but also only one game with more than 70 yards and only 1 TD this season.  He has less than 3 fantasy points in 3 of his last 4 games, and I had a hard time ranking him ahead of anyone to squeeze him into my top-40(ish).  So I didn't!

TEs
1.Greg Olsen         
2.Delanie Walker 
3.Kyle Rudolph  
4.Jimmy Graham 
5.Travis Kelce  
6.Gary Barnidge  
7.Dennis Pitta 
8.Coby Fleener
9.Cameron Brate   
10.Jason Witten  
11.Julius Thomas  
12.Lance Kendricks
13.Eric Ebron 
14.Antonio Gates 
15.Jack Doyle 
16.Austin Hooper

Last week I was high on C.J. Fiedorowicz (ESPN #21, ME #11) and down on Zach Ertz (ESPN #15, ME NOT RANKED).  Fiedorowicz found the endzone and was a top-5 TE.  Ertz actually had more than 3 receptions for the first time since Week 1, but he only managed 19 yards and was once again a fantasy bust. 

I'm high on: Lance Kendricks (ESPN #19, ME #12)
Image result for lance kendricksTalk about flying under the radar!  I bet you didn't know that Kendricks has at least 7 targets in 3 of his last 4 games.  You may also not know that the Panthers give up the 2nd most fantasy points to the tight end position this year.  I think the Rams will be playing from behind in this game, and Case Keenum will be throwing the ball a ton in the second half.  I like for Lance to get plenty of targets and possibly even finish as a TE1 this week.

I'm down on: Antonio Gates (ESPN #6, ME #14) 
I don't know how many times I have to mention Gates in this article, but the guy hasn't cracked 40 receiving yards in a game yet this season.  I get that he scores touchdowns, but I'm going out on a limb and saying he doesn't hit paydirt this weekend.  I don't like him anywhere near the top-5 fantasy TEs.
DEF
1.Chiefs 
2.Vikings 
3.Seahawks
4.Panthers
5.Broncos  
6.Eagles 
7.Dolphins
8.Cowboys
9.Ravens 
10.Lions 
11.Bills
12.Giants

I was way off on my defense picks versus ESPN yet again.  I was high on the Philadelphia Eagles (ESPN #11, ME #5) and down on the Carolina Panthers (ESPN #10, ME NOT RANKED).  Philly was looking good in the first half, but that all came crashing down in the second half.  They ended up with their worst fantasy performance of the season.  As for Carolina, they had their BEST week yet.  Go figure!  They had 8 sacks and a defensive touchdown against Arizona, and they were second only to Denver in Week 8. 

Image result for lions defenseI'm high on: Detroit Lions (ESPN #20, ME #10)
This one takes some faith because the Lions are actually a little banged up on the defensive side of the ball, but Minnesota's offensive line has looked terrible the last couple of weeks.  I mean, they just lost to the Bears.  The Vikings have only scored 10 points in back-to-back weeks now, and I don't see them putting up a lot of points against Detroit.  I think the Lions are startable in Minnesota this week.

I'm down on: New York Jets (ESPN #8 ME NOT RANKED) 
Everyone seemed to like the Jets last week in Cleveland, but they didn't perform too well in that spot and gave up 28 points.  This week, they travel to South Florida to take on a Dolphin team coming off their bye week.  I think Miami is going to light up the scoreboard against the Jets, and I don't see them as a viable fantasy option against Jay Ajayi and company.

Good luck to everyone in Week 9!  
(Except you, Carl...)

Cheers,
Bart

No comments:

Post a Comment