Wednesday, July 2, 2014

2014 Fantasy Football Rankings v2.0

I was walking through the grocery store the other day and found myself cutting through the magazine aisle on my way to find some bread and my wife (in that order).  Usually I don't look twice because I'm not interested in spending $7.95 on material that I can probably find on the internet.  And in the case of sports magazines, most of it is last week's news anyway.  In the case of fantasy sports magazines, the information is going to be even more out of date.  But that's what I saw, and plenty of them.  Out of 10 or so sports mags, I'd say half were dedicated to helping you win your 2014 fantasy football league.  And in a month, those same publications are still going to be on that rack telling you to draft Arian Foster in the 2nd round even though he's struggling with this or that injury that may or may not keep him out of the first few weeks (or possibly the entire season).  I'm not saying that will happen, and I hope it doesn't for Foster's sake.  But you get the idea.

That brings me to my rankings, which I plan to update just a little more frequently than the grocery store magazines.  I started doing them this year much earlier than in 2013, so I'm not exactly sure what version I'm on at this point.  Rather than try to figure out if this is v1.3 or v1.4, I'm just going to roll with v2.0 and we'll go from there.  Matthew Berry released his 100 facts piece last week, and it gave me the kick in the butt I needed to get moving again.  After reading that article and catching up on news from OTAs, I'm actually shaking up my rankings quite a bit.  I also decided to list a few more players by position below my top-168.  These are guys who may find themselves into the rankings in the weeks to come, but time will tell.  All of this will shake out once training camps start, which is only about 3 weeks away now.  Until then, here's what I have for you.  As always, I've made notes next to players who have moved for one reason or another.  I've also made notes next to the guys outside of my top-168.

                                                     
1. Jamaal Charles
2. LeSean McCoy
3. Adrian Peterson
4. Matt Forte
5. Eddie Lacy
6. Marshawn Lynch: I lowered Beast Mode a couple of spots due to his high usage in recent years versus Forte and Lacy.
7. Jimmy Graham
8. Peyton Manning
9. Calvin Johnson
10. Montee Ball
11. Arian Foster: A bit of a risky pick this high, but all signs are pointing to him being healthy...
12. Le'Veon Bell
13. DeMarco Murray: He probably won't play 16 games either, but in a contract year and should get plenty of work.
14. Giovani Bernard
15. Demaryius Thomas: With Peyton still throwing to him, I think I'd reach a little ahead of Green or Dez.
16. Aaron Rodgers
17. Drew Brees
18. A.J. Green
19. Dez Bryant: Another Cowboy in a contract year, I think he belongs up here with AJ.
20. Zac Stacy
21. Alfred Morris
22. Brandon Marshall
23. Antonio Brown
24. Julio Jones
25. Alshon Jeffery
26. Jordy Nelson
27. Randall Cobb: With James Jones gone, a healthy Cobb should put up WR1 numbers.
28. Andre Ellington: Trending up. Will go even higher if coaches commit to giving him the ball 25 times a game.
29. Doug Martin: Down slightly.  New OC Jeff Tedford says he wants to alternate RBs in Tampa.
30. C.J. Spiller
31. Reggie Bush
32. Julius Thomas: Getting into question marks with these RBs, but JT is a sure thing at the tight end position.
33. Rob Gronkowski: And I just can't help myself with Gronk.  I keep moving him up the list, hoping he's healthy...
34. Ryan Mathews
35. Rashad Jennings: I continue to move Jennings up.  Could be in a great position in New York now.
36. Toby Gerhart: Him too.  Unproven but in a nice spot to be the bell cow RB in Jacksonville.
37. Bishop Sankey
38. Keenan Allen
39. Pierre Garcon
40. Vincent Jackson
41. Matthew Stafford
42. Andrew Luck
43. Shane Vereen
44. Chris Johnson: Moved him down considerably.  I foresee a timeshare if Chris Ivory can stay healthy.
45. Ben Tate: Speaking of health, that has be lowering Tate quite a bit. Plus he's a Brown, which is never good.
46. Frank Gore
47. Larry Fitzgerald
48. Andre Johnson
49. DeSean Jackson
50. Wes Welker
51. Victor Cruz
52. Trent Richardson: Moved him up even more.  Not sure why, but I have a feeling he puts it together again.
53. Ray Rice: Moved him down a little more with a suspension coming down any day now.
54. Cordarelle Patterson: Had him too low in my previous rankings.  Will definitely get even more touches in 2014.
55. Torrey Smith
56. Michael Crabtree
57. Percy Harvin: Had him too low too. Of course his health is a concern, but he has a HUGE ceiling.
58. Joique Bell
59. Steven Jackson
60. Stevan Ridley
61. Michael Floyd: Moved up a couple of spots.  I think it's possible he has a better year than Fitz.
62. Kendall Wright
63. Roddy White: Down a little.  He's tough to trust after owning him in a league last year.
64. Julian Edelman
65. Vernon Davis
66. RGIII
67. Cam Newton
68. Tom Brady: Down a couple of spots, but this QB tier is very difficult to rank!
69. Matt Ryan
70. TY Hilton
71. Golden Tate: Hard not to keep moving him up with that offense throwing a million times.
72. Eric Decker
73. Marques Colston
74. Pierre Thomas: Will split carries, but with Sproles gone he could be more involved in passing game.
75. Maurice Jones-Drew
76. Fred Jackson
77. Knowshon Moreno: Got knee scoped and could be out until preseason games start.
78. Nick Foles: I think I had him in the wrong QB tier.  Down to the top of this one.
79. Russell Wilson
80. Tony Romo
81. Colin Kaepernick
82. Mike Wallace
83. Jeremy Maclin
84. Terrance Williams: Up a couple more spots.  Becoming an even sexier mid to late round pick.
85. Cecil Shorts
86. Emmanuel Sanders: I lowered him too much after the draft.  He belongs in the top-100.
87. Mike Evans: And I got a little excited ranking the rookies after the draft. Lowering several a few spots.
88. Sammy Watkins
89. Reggie Wayne
90. DeAngelo Williams: Is Stewart finally healthy?  I'm lowering DWill a bit with that possibility.
91. Lamar Miller: With news of Knowshon's knee, had to move Miller back up considerably.
92. Jordan Cameron
93. Greg Olsen
94. Jason Witten
95. Dennis Pitta
96. Jordan Reed
97. Darren Sproles
98. Khiry Robinson: Not sure what his role will be, but moving up with the hole Sproles leaves in New Orleans.
99. Darren McFadden
100. Chris Ivory
101. Bernard Pierce: Still waiting to hear on Ray's suspension, but Pierce should be early beneficiary.
102. Jeremy Hill: It sounds like The Law Firm is in jeopardy of making the squad. That tells me the Bengals like Hill.
103. Devonta Freeman
104. Terrance West: Another rookie being added to the list.  Could be RB2 behind Ben Tate in Cleveland.
105. Dwayne Bowe: Shuffled the order of this WR tier a little bit (next 5 guys)...
106. Riley Cooper
107. DeAndre Hopkins
108. Anquan Boldin
109. Brandin Cooks
110. Philip Rivers
111. Jay Cutler
112. Danny Woodhead: With Donald Brown now in the mix, I've moved Danny boy down a little.
113. Shonn Greene: Swapped him with Khiry Robinson (above).  Lowering the guy with old knees.
114. Kyle Rudolph
115. Zach Ertz
116. Martellus Bennett: Needed to add another TE to the list to make an even 12 (for a 12-team league).
117. Marvin Jones
118. Reuben Randle
119. James Jones
120. Andy Dalton: Lowered him down to tier with Johnny Football and Big Ben.
121. Johnny Manziel
122. Ben Roethlisberger
123. Tavon Austin
124. Kelvin Benjamin
125. Brian Hartline
126. Steve Smith
127. Danny Amendola
128. Hakeem Nicks
129. Lance Dunbar: Added to the list.  It sounds like the Cowboys want him to be involved in the offense this year.
130. Andre Brown: Lowered him and Stepfan Taylor a bit to this RB tier.
131. Stepfan Taylor
132. Tre Mason
133. Jonathan Stewart: Ranking The Daily Show even though I know this will end in an injury...
134. Kenny Stills
135. Robert Woods
136. Stevie Johnson: Lowered a couple more notches.  He may end up outside the top-168 when it's all said and done.
137. Carlos Hyde
138. Roy Helu
139. C.J. Anderson
140. Markus Wheaton
141. Andrew Hawkins: With Josh Gordon suspended, someone will need to catch balls in Cleveland.
142. Justin Hunter: Added him to the list as a solid #2 WR, albeit for the Titans.
143. Doug Baldwin: I don't trust Harvin to be healthy, and Baldwin should benefit with Golden Tate gone.
144. Brandon LaFell: Could be the new "X" receiver for the Pats, but this could be Dobson or Thompkins again.
145. Seahawks DEFENSE
146. 49ers DEFENSE
147. Panthers DEFENSE
148. Bengals DEFENSE
149. Rams DEFENSE: Moved them a spot ahead of Denver, but both have the dreaded Week 4 bye...
150. Broncos DEFENSE
151. Chiefs DEFENSE
152. Patriots DEFENSE
153. Cardinals DEFENSE: Daryl Washington suspended for 2014 and Honey Badger will miss a few weeks.
154. Ravens DEFENSE
155. Saints DEFENSE
156. Bills DEFENSE
157. Stephen Gostkowski
158. Justin Tucker
159. Dan Bailey
160. Phil Dawson: OK so after my top-3 kickers, I shuffled them up a bit.  But seriously.  Do you care...?
161. Adam Vinatieri
162. Mason Crosby
163. Nick Novak
164. Matt Bryant
165. Robbie Gould
166. Blair Walsh
167. Shaun Suisham
168. Alex Henery



Some more names (in order, roughly) who didn't quite make the 168 but I will be closely watching in the weeks to come...

QBs
Josh McCown: I still think he could be your starting fantasy QB if you wait too long to get one.
Ryan Tannehill: Continues to improve, but now he has a new OC to work with.  That scares me.
Alex Smith: Can he replicate last season?  Probably not, so he's outside of my top-168.
Eli Manning: He's on my list because he could be a good Week 4 fill-in for his brother (who I'll own).
Joe Flacco: In 2013, career highs in pass attempts (& INTs)...sub-20 TDs for 1st time since a rookie.
Carson Palmer: Not a great keeper if your league is like mine, but still has good WR options.
EJ Manuel: I'm still holding out hope that he could break out if he stays healthy.
Teddy Bridgewater: If he is the starter Week 1, he might be worth a late-round flier.
RBs
Mark Ingram: I think he'll be the odd man out in New Orleans.  But let's wait and see, shall we?
Benjarvis Green-Ellis: Ranked Jeremy Hill for now, assuming BGE is also on outside looking in.
LaGarrette Blount: Could steal some carries from Bell in Pittsburgh, but not sure if he's draftable.
James Starks: The only running back left in Green Bay not named Eddie Lacy.
Isaiah Crowell: Everyone expects West to get the backup role in Cleveland, but I'm not sold yet.
Ronnie Hillman: Same goes for CJ Anderson in Denver.  Montee Ball will need some breaks...
Mike James or Bobby Rainey: If the Bucs do use a committee, then keep an eye on these two.
Vick Ballard or Ahmad Bradshaw: And if TRich struggles, one of these guys could step in (if healthy).
Andre Williams: I'm not considering David Wilson (health), but Williams is an interesting backup.
Donald Brown: I'd consider ranking him if he's to be the "goal line back" in San Diego.
Brandon Bolden: You just never know with Belichick, do you...?
Michael Bush (FREE AGENT): I'd be shocked if he's not on a roster after camps are underway.
WRs
Jarrett Boykin: Maybe I'm getting to low on him, but I'm afraid rookie Adams could fill WR3 role.
Josh Gordon: Until we know the length of his suspension, we can't totally rule him out for 2014.
Justin Blackmon: Same with him, though I think his prospects are even worse.
Aaron Dobson or Kenbrell Thompkins: Like I said, either could jump up and replace LaFell.
Odell Beckham: We'll see how the rookie looks in Giants training camp before ranking him.
Jordan Matthews: Same goes for the Eagle rookie.
Martavis Bryant: And a rookie I feel like no one is talking about, he could beat out Wheaton.
Greg Jennings: I feel like he's getting too old to rank, and he rarely has a good game anymore.
Miles Austin: Same could be said for him...AND he's always injured.
Harry Douglas: With Gonzo retired, Douglas might still get quite a few targets in that offense...
Rod Streater: Should be the #2 WR in Oakland, but what kind of fantasy numbers will that get you?
Kenny Britt: Now a Ram, but health always a concern for this perennial sleeper.
Jerricho Cotchery or Jason Avant: One of the veterans will probably stick in Carolina, but who?

TEs
Charles Clay: I'm not ready to accept that he'll get 100 targets again with a different OC.
Delanie Walker: Not an amazing season in 2013, but it was his best yet.
Richard Rodgers: The rookie in Green Bay impressed in OTAs and could be the Week 1 starter.
Eric Ebron: This rookie was drafted much higher, but Detroit still has Pettigrew and Fauria...
Jace Amaro: A theme here with rookies.  Yes he's a Jet, but he's worth watching in training camp.
Antonio Gates/Ladarius Green: Which one do you take?  Exactly.
Coby Fleener/Dwayne Allen: Same problem here.  If one gets hurt, then maybe you rank the other.

DEFs
Bucs
Texans
Browns


One more note that I have to throw in here...






















Cheers,
Bart

No comments:

Post a Comment