Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Week 1 Rankings

Some people have weird rules for themselves when it comes to drafting (or not drafting) certain players.  The only rule I try to follow is simple: stick to my rankings.  It doesn't always work out, but that's my rule nonetheless.

I had my "fun league" draft over Labor Day weekend, and as always, QBs went super early.  By the middle of the 5th round, all of the signal callers who I have ranked in my top-10 had been drafted.  So what did I do?  I waited...and waited......and waited some more.  In the 9th round of my draft, I finally ended up with my starting QB: Tony Romo.

"What?!?!?"
"{GROOOOAN}"
"Did you really just take him...?"

Great.  I drafted Tweedledum and Tweedledee.  Who do I start this week...?
Shock and disbelief was aplenty in the draft room.  But he was the best (fantasy) QB on the board, according to my rankings.  And by a long shot.  Yes, I'm a Redskins fan.  Yes, I hate the Cowboys.  But I had already drafted Dez Bryant earlier that evening (and in the 3rd round in a 12-team league...I couldn't pass on him at that point!).  There weren't a ton of puzzled faces when I did that, so why with Romo?  Maybe it's just because he's the QB for Dallas.  Maybe it's because he's pretty hated in general, unless you're a Cowboy fan, of course.  Whatever the reason, people were astonished at my selection.

And do you know what I followed it up with in the 10th round?  I got a backup QB: Eli Manning.  Ha!  NFC East, baby!!!  I mean, come on people.  This is my fun league.  Let me have some fun!  I was definitely under the influence of a few Ray Ray's Pale Ales, but I knew what I was doing.  I even thought about taking Vick a couple rounds later, but luckily the owner of "The Magician's Alliance" saved me from having the entire non-RG3 NFC East QB team.

The point is, I stuck to my rankings.  I didn't worry about having a fantasy QB who I hate in real life.  Because you know what?  I may not like his personality (or his football team), but I don't mind the numbers I think he'll put up this year.  That isn't to say that I think the Cowboys will make the playoffs (I don't), but that doesn't matter in fantasy either.  All that matters is that Romo gets me some fantasy points.  Will I be secretly rooting for him to put up good numbers when they play my Redskins?  The answer is simple.  HELL NO!!!  Fantasy is great, but it's secondary to the real deal.  And if you're a true fan of an NFL team, I hope you never lose sight of that.

Last year I didn't do week one rankings because I was way too busy (wedding stuff, I guess).  But this year, I have my priorities straight (kidding, honeyyyy).  This year, I'm going to do my best to get a weekly rankings done by Wednesday, and then have an updated list on Friday or Saturday.  No guarantees, but that's my goal anyway.  A lot changes over the course of a week, especially when injuries start piling up.  As for the actual rankings, let me remind you that these are my rankings.  If you want to use them, go for it.  If you want to use someone else's, fine.  Ultimately, I think you need to make up your own mind and listen to your gut.  If you don't have much of a gut, then feel free to use these rankings on gameday.  My gut isn't always right, but I have enough to go around.

Whatever! I can get more than 5 points. Watch this pass!!!
I'm assuming a max 12 team league, so I'm not going to rank 32 QBs, 50+ RBs, etc.  If you really want to know if you should start or sit Brandon Weeden or Philip Rivers, then your team is seriously in trouble.  Go check Yahoo, ESPN, or whatever other website you want.  But I'm not ranking everyone here.  I'll give you what I think is enough to know who to start or sit, and if it's not then let me know.  I'm also not ranking kickers.  I didn't even draft a kicker in my money league, and I'll probably just stream them all season.  It's not worth my time to rank them, but other sites do if you want to be able to point the finger at someone else when Matt Prater only gets you 5 points against the Ravens in Week One.  Uh oooooh!  Fantasy kicker smack talk! 


OK.  Story time is over.  Let's get into the first weekly rankings of the 2013 NFL Season!!!


QBs
1.Drew Brees
2.Tom Brady
3.Peyton Manning
4.Aaron Rodgers
5.Andrew Luck
6.Matt Ryan
7.Colin Kaepernick
8.Matthew Stafford
9.Russell Wilson
10.Tony Romo
11.RGIII
12.Cam Newton
13.Eli Manning
14.Michael Vick
15.Ben Roethlisberger
16.Matt Schaub 
17.Joe Flacco 
18.Sam Bradford
19.Andy Dalton
20.EJ Manuel                

Dominating the Raiders?  So easy, a caveman could do it...

With the usual suspects in my top-4, it would appear that I'm taking zero risks with my rankings to start the fantasy season.  But Brees at home to start the season is pretty solid, no matter who he's playing.  Brady against the Bills?  I don't care who his receivers are.  He's a lock for 3+ TDs.  It's hard not to rank those guys at the top.  In fact, I might be going a little against the grain NOT ranking Matt Ryan in my top-5.  I actually like Andrew Luck at home against the Raiders, rather than Ryan away at New Orleans.  It's a tough call, but I'm just going with my gut here.  Sorry, Matty Ice.

You'll also notice all of my NFC East QBs there from #10-14.  I think all are most likely startable this week.  And if you drafted any of them, you're probably starting them anyway.  Andy Dalton was my guy toward the end of 2012, but he's pretty low on my list as he has a tough opener at Chicago.  Speaking of that game, you'll notice that Jay Cutler doesn't make my list.  Maybe he'll change my mind during this season, but it's not going to be before the opening kickoff.


RBs
1.Jamaal Charles
2.Adrian Peterson
3.Stevan Ridley
4.CJ Spiller
5.Doug Martin
6.Ray Rice
7.LeSean McCoy
8.Alfred Morris
9.Steven Jackson
10.Trent Richardson 
11.Marshawn Lynch
12.Maurice Jones-Drew
13.Arian Foster
14.David Wilson
15.Matt Forte
16.Reggie Bush
17.Chris Johnson
18.Frank Gore
19.DeMarco Murray
20.Darren McFadden
21.Darren Sproles
22.Lamar Miller
23.Ahmad Bradshaw
24.Ryan Mathews
25.Eddie Lacy
26.Chris Ivory
27.Daryl Richardson
28.Rashard Mendenhall
29.Shane Vereen
30.Isaac Redman
31.Montee Ball
32.DeAngelo Williams
33.Giovanni Bernard
34.Ben Tate
35.Benjarvis Green-Ellis
36.Vick Ballard
37.Mark Ingram
38.Ronnie Hillman
39.Michael Bush
40.Jacquizz Rodgers

Adrian Peterson will most likely end up being the #1 overall RB in fantasy football this year, but that doesn't mean he'll be the top dog every week.  OK.  So maybe it's highly likely he'll run all over the Lions, but I actually think it's also very likely that Jamaal Charles goes off on the Jags in Week 1.  They weren't terrible against the pass in 2012, but Jacksonville was one of the absolute worst at stopping the running game last year.  I think the Chiefs get the ball to Charles at least 30 times in this game (in one way or another), and he'll find the endzone at least once.  No one is deciding on starting Charles over AP anyway, and if you are, then good luck in your 4-team fantasy football league this season.  I'm sure it'll be fun.


Get ready to see this at least once on Sunday...
You'll notice Arian Foster isn't even in the top-10 this week, and that could change if I get an updated rankings done later in the week.  I'm just worried about a guy who has missed the entire preseason, and I think the Texans will probably split a little more of the workload with Ben Tate, at least for a week or two.  Someone who is up where Foster usually is ranked is Stevan Ridley.  I'm playing against him in my money league, and I hate it because he has an amazing matchup.  I like any and all Patriot offensive players this week, but Ridley might end up with the biggest game.  The Bills were even worse than Jacksonville against the run last season, and they gave up the most rushing TDs in the league.  Meanwhile, Ridley was tied for 3rd in the NFL with 12 rushing touchdowns.  It's the perfect storm for a big fantasy day for the Patriot running back.  I like Vereen to get some touches too, but I'm not sure how they're going to use him just yet.  

WRs
1.Calvin Johnson
2.Dez Bryant
3.Demaryius Thomas
4.AJ Green
5.Brandon Marshall
6.Julio Jones
7.Danny Amendola
8.Andre Johnson
9.Pierre Garcon
10.Roddy White 
11.Larry Fitzgerald
12.Marques Colston
13.Victor Cruz
14.Randall Cobb
15.Torrey Smith
16.Reggie Wayne
17.Dwayne Bowe
18.Cecil Shorts
19.Antonio Brown
20.Vincent Jackson
21.DeSean Jackson
22.Hakeem Nicks
23.Wes Welker
24.Steve Smith
25.Eric Decker
26.Jordy Nelson
27.Miles Austin
28.T.Y. Hilton
29.Mike Wallace
30.Anquan Boldin
31.James Jones
32.Kenbrell Thompkins
33.Sidney Rice
34.Greg Jennings
35.Steve Johnson
36.Lance Moore
37.Mike Williams
38.Chris Givens
39.Vincent Brown
40.Golden Tate 

Going boring again with Megatron at #1, but there are some interesting people on the board here in Week 1.  Danny Amendola finds himself as an instant top-10 (hype machine pick) for the opening game against the Bills.  Likewise, I have his teammate Kenbrell Thompkins on the board, although much more conservatively in the 30s.  Torrey Smith and Cecil Shorts, my two starting wideouts, crack my top-20 (though I don't see them as being top-10 guys just yet).  Sidney Rice is another guy I drafted, and I actually have him higher than his teammate Golden Tate.  This will most likely differ from the experts, but I think if he's healthy, he's in for a much bigger year than Tate.  I guess time will tell if I'm right on that one or not...

I have all three Bronco receivers in my top-25, which isn't likely to be accurate.  At some point in the season, I feel like Decker and Welker are going to separate from each other one way or another (at least with respect to fantasy numbers).  For now, I'll rank them where they are.  I think Demaryius has the best chance at a big night on Thursday though (obviously).  Speaking of top tier WRs, Vincent Jackson is a guy who I have pretty low in my rankings to start the season.  The Jets were great against the pass last year, and I don't see why that would change in 2013.  Yes, they lost Revis, but he wasn't exactly a factor last season due to injury.  Maybe he'll surprise me, but if I had other options in the top-20, I'm starting them over Jackson this week.

TEs
1.Jimmy Graham
2.Jason Witten
3.Tony Gonzalez 
4.Zach Sudfeld
5.Vernon Davis
6.Greg Olsen
7.Jermichael Finley
8.Owen Daniels
9.Kyle Rudolph
10.Brandon Pettigrew
11.Jared Cook
12.Jordan Cameron

If you think I'm ranking Antonio Gates in Week 1, you've got another thing coming.  That guy gave me headaches last year, and I'm going to make him prove himself in 2013 before he makes the list.  The first three tight ends on the list are no brainers, but Zach Sudfeld at #4 might be a little surprising.  Gronkowski most likely won't be in action for a couple of weeks, and Brady will need someone to throw to until he's back.  I like him to toss 3 or 4 TDs against the Bills, and I think Sudfeld will be the recipient of one of them.

I like Brandon Pettigrew, undrafted in my money league, to get 10+ targets in Week One (with a resulting 80 yards and most likely no touchdown).


DEF
1.Texans
2.Patriots
3.Seahawks
4.Rams
5.Buccaneers
6.Bears
7.Bengals
8.Colts
9.Steelers
10.49ers
11.Browns
12.Broncos

Picking defense from week to week can be somewhat of a crapshoot, especially at the beginning of the season.  One could argue to play it safe with the strong defenses (i.e. Seahawks or 49ers), but a case could be made for just playing the matchups too.  I tried to give a little mix of both for Week One.  The Texans have been a strong defense year in and year out lately, and they open up against a Chargers team that often struggles to start the season.  Their offensive line can be suspect, which doesn't bode well with JJ Watt on the other side of the ball.  It is an away game for Houston, but I still like their defense to shine on Monday Night Football.


The Patriots and Bucs are pretty high on my list this week, and a lot of that is matchup based.  While both will also be on the road, both will be going up against rookie QBs making their first NFL starts.  The Patriots tend to manhandle the Bills in general, and Darrelle Revis will be going back to New York to play against his former team.  He didn't play a snap in the preseason, but it sounds like he'll be ready to go against whatever horrible QB the Jets put out there.

The only team not in my Top-12 this week that will probably be in most expert lists is the Cardinals.  They have been a decent team defense in recent years, but I worry a little about them against the Rams in Week 1.  Granted, I think this game could very well be low scoring (which typically means solid points for both defenses), but I still have Arizona just outside of my rankings this week...though I do like the Rams in that game (I'll predict a 20-10 victory for St. Louis).

That's it for the rankings this week.  Good luck in Week One!

Cheers,
Bart

No comments:

Post a Comment