Thursday, August 22, 2013

2013 Fantasy Football Rankings v2.2

I think I have a serious case of post-draft boredom, at least when it comes to fantasy football and my blogging.  Now that it's over, I don't feel as compelled to scrutinize my rankings on a daily (or even weekly) basis.  We're officially 2 WEEKS away from the start of the NFL season, and I'm just ready to watch some football and get this fantasy season going!

But I might have another league to get ready for...sort of.  I say "sort of" because it's a pretty casual, co-ed league with my friends.  Some of them follow the NFL, while others are just doing the fantasy thing for fun.  And honestly, that's why I continue to do this league too: fun.  Otherwise, I really try to limit my fantasy leagues to just the one, but that's pretty tough.  And fantasy football is fun, so I do this league strictly for that reason...and I don't need to do much more preparing because I'll just wing it (and I've already had a practice round!).

Speaking of fun, my draft weekend had plenty to go around.  We watched scary movies, played Guesstures, got in the hot tub....wait a second.  That stuff did happen, but it gives the wrong impression.  We ALSO ate copious amounts of meat, chopped down trees, went to breweries, made fire, and of course: we drafted.

Dinner's ready!  Thanks, Joey.
I'm going to go ahead and give another update on my rankings, with just a few notes on guys who I've moved up and down since my own draft.  I'll also put notes next to guys in BOLD who I ended up drafting myself, with maybe more than just a short sentence or two about each of them.  I want you to understand a little more behind each pick.  I didn't want to write too much about my draft strategy before last weekend, but now who cares?  I mean, people will forget before next year, right? Also, the keepers in my league remain in italics, mainly because it helps me keep my own rankings straight.  Keep an eye out for another article or two before the Denver/Baltimore Thursday night kickoff, and I'll be sure to get my Week One rankings in early that week!


1. Adrian Peterson
2. Doug Martin
3. Ray Rice
4. Jamaal Charles
5. Marshawn Lynch
6. Arian Foster: Concerned with him still not practicing, even though he says he doesn't need preseason...
7. LeSEAN McCOY: I had the 6th position in my draft, and the RBs I have above McCoy in my rankings all came off the board (in a little different order than I have them above).  So McCoy was my pick, and I'm fine with it.
8. Calvin Johnson
9. CJ Spiller
10. Alfred Morris
11. Jimmy Graham
12. AJ Green
13. Steven Jackson
14. Trent Richardson
15. Stevan Ridley
16. Maurice Jones-Drew
17. Matt Forte
18. Drew Brees
19. Aaron Rodgers
20. Brandon Marshall
21. Dez Bryant
22. Chris Johnson 
23. REGGIE BUSH: I didn't think Reggie would still be on the board here, but he was.  I already drafted McCoy and have Mathews as a keeper, but I couldn't pass up the value with Bush here.  A great pass-catching RB in that Detroit offense is a match made in heaven.  So far, no WRs on my team though...
24. Peyton Manning
25. Frank Gore
26. Julio Jones
27. Demaryius Thomas
28. Larry Fitzgerald
29. (Cam Newton: My #1 keeper, just highlighting here in bold so you can see my full squad.)
30. DeMarco Murray
31. Lamar Miller
32. Darren McFadden
33. Randall Cobb
34: Roddy White
35. Andre Johnson
36. Tom Brady
37. Rob Gronkowski
38. Victor Cruz
39. Vincent Jackson
40. Marques Colston
41. Eddie Lacy: This guy went early in the 3rd (keeper) round in my draft, and I think he'll be worth it.
42. David Wilson
43. Darren Sproles
44. Chris Ivory
45. Rashard Mendenhall
46. Montee Ball
47. Dwayne Bowe
48. TORREY SMITH: Lamar Miller was still on the board in Round 3 of my draft, but I already had 3 RBs on my team.  I struggled with this one a lot because I didn't want to wait too much longer to get a #1 WR who I liked.  I reached a little for Torrey Smith, but ultimately I'm happy with it.  Lamar Miller is unproven, and I needed to pick up a WR before it got too late.
49. Danny Amendola
50. Hakeem Nicks
51. (Ryan Mathews: My #2 keeper)
52. Ahmad Bradshaw
53. Jason Witten
54. RGIII
55. Matt Ryan
56. Reggie Wayne
57. Wes Welker
58. Jordy Nelson
59. Steve Smith
60. Antonio Brown
61. Pierre Garcon
62. CECIL SHORTS: Wide receivers were coming off the board fast, and I wanted to get another one.  Why not the guy who I was considering as my #2 keeper?  My team is shaping up to look a lot like last year's squad.  I hope these boys have matured a little bit in real life...
63. Vernon Davis 
64. SHANE VEREEN: Any time you have picks from your rankings that are this close together, it's a good thing.  I thought Vereen would be gone at this point, but he was still there.  At this point in the draft, I'm basically taking the best available WR or RB, and Vereen could end up flexing as both this year.  He's exactly who I wanted here in the 5th round.
65. Andre Brown
66. Giovani Bernard
67. Eric Decker
68. James Jones
69. TY Hilton
70. Mike Wallace
71. Tony Gonzalez
72. Colin Kaepernick
73. Russell Wilson
74. Andrew Luck
75. Matthew Stafford
76. Tony Romo
77. Ronnie Hillman
78. Benjarvis Green-Ellis
79. Daryl Richardson
80. DeAngelo Williams
81. Vick Ballard
82. DeSean Jackson
83. Tavon Austin
84. SIDNEY RICE: This was my first uncomfortable pick of the draft.  Vick Ballard was still on the board, but I was liking my RBs at this point.  I wasn't ready to jump on a TE yet, so I thought I'd better snatch up another WR.  The problem is that I'm not sure if Rice is the #1 WR in Seattle.  A lot of people think Golden Tate will make that leap this year.  I'm not one of those people, so I stuck to my guns (and my rankings).  I went with Rice.  We'll see if I picked the right Seahawk.
85. Eli Manning 
86. Andy Dalton
87. Miles Austin
88. Steve Johnson
89. Greg Jennings
90. Anquan Boldin
91. Lance Moore
92. Mike Williams
93. Vincent Brown
94. Denarius Moore
95. Greg Olsen
96. JERMICHAEL FINLEY: Greg Olsen flew off the board at the end of the 6th round, so I started thinking about tight end.  The crazy thing is, I have Pettigrew ranked next and he went undrafted.  Needless to say, I think I reached a little bit to get the TE I wanted.  I didn't want to reach on Sudfeld or Cameron later, which I would have had to do.  I felt more comfortable getting Finley here.
97. Brandon Pettigrew
98. Mark Ingram
99. Bryce Brown
100. Bernard Pierce
101. Ben Tate
102. LeVeon Bell: Still not sure just how serious the injury is, but Dwyer and Redman should get early action.
103. Golden Tate
104. MICHAEL FLOYD: So Floyd wasn't my 8th round pick.  He was my 9th rounder.  I hate to say it, but I think Hard Knocks is getting the best of me.  The Seahawks, Niners, and Texans all were drafted in the 7th or 8th round.  So I'm sitting there already considering a defense?!?  Normally I wouldn't do this, but I think the 8% beers might've been getting to me a little bit.  That, and my love for the HBO television series.  To be fair, I liked the Bengals as my #6 defense in my June rankings, so I already regarded them highly.  But after watching a couple episodes of Hard Knocks this year, they started moving up my board even further.  A healthy James Harrison usually means good things for a fantasy defense.  We'll see if they end up being like my Bills pick last year or like a Ravens pick before they became a dominant force in the NFL.  As for Michael Floyd, he was the best available on my board in the 9th round.  After reaching for a defense so early, I wanted to stick with my list for at least my next pick...or so.
105. Emmanuel Sanders
106. KENBRELL THOMPKINS: This was an audible at the line of scrimmage.  I was all set to take Aaron Dobson here, at least until I started reading on Twitter the weekend of my draft that it's Thompkins (not Dobson) who's been running with the first team during preseason games.  Of course, this could be meaningless as everyone's just trying to get a leg up on who Tom Brady's favorite target will be this season.  But at this point in my draft, a hype pick on a high-powered offense felt OK.
107. DeAndre Hopkins
108. Chris Givens
109. Jonathan Dwyer: Still have him ranked below Bell, but only because this is a keeper league.
110. Danny Woodhead
111. Fred Jackson
112. Johnathan Franklin
113. Isaiah Pead
114. Kenny Britt
115. Josh Gordon
116. Owen Daniels
117. Kyle Rudolph     
118. Jordan Cameron
119. Ryan Broyles
120. Jonathan Stewart
121. Shonn Greene
122. Jacquizz Rodgers
123. Michael Bush
124. Roy Helu
125. Montario Hardesty
126. Alshon Jeffery
127. CORDARELLE PATTERSON: This was another hype machine pick, but it was also my last pick of the draft.  That's right.  I didn't even draft a kicker (more on that below).  I did take a chance on Patterson, but I've since dropped him.  With Le'Veon Bell's potential Lisfranc injury, I hit the waiver wire and dropped Cordarelle for Jonathan Dwyer.
128. Kendall Wright
129. Brian Hartline   
130. Fred Davis
131. Zach Sudfeld: Gronk could be out a while, and Sudfeld could get a lot of early looks in New England.
132. Justin Forsett
133. Toby Gerhart
134. Mikel Leshoure
135. Knile Davis
136. Kendall Hunter
137. Joseph Randle
138. Stepfan Taylor
139. Peyton Hillis
140. Marcel Reece
141. Robert Turbin
142. Isaac Redman
143. Daniel Thomas
144. Bilal Powell
145. Seahawks DEFENSE
146. 49ers DEFENSE
147. BENGALS DEFENSE: The Hard Knocks love has probably gone too far, but I don't care.  If this is wrong I don't want to be right!  With a Week 12 BYE, I'm planning to plug the Bengals D in every week and not even have to worry about it until a point in the fantasy season when I'll have a better idea of whether or not I'm even a playoff contender. 
148. Bears DEFENSE
149. Texans DEFENSE
150. Broncos DEFENSE
151. Ravens DEFENSE
152. Rams DEFENSE
153. Patriots DEFENSE
154. Cardinals DEFENSE
155. Giants DEFENSE
156. Falcons DEFENSE
157. Stephen Gostkowski
158. Dan Bailey
159. Matt Bryant 
160. Matt Prater
161. Justin Tucker
162. Blair Walsh
163. Sebastian Janikowski
164. Phil Dawson
165. Greg Zuerlein
166. Randy Bullock
167. Kai Forbath
168. David Akers


A few more guys to consider on draft day...

QBs
Josh Freeman
Sam Bradford
Ben Roethlisberger
Michael Vick
Ryan Tannehill

TEs
Martellus Bennett
Jared Cook
Brandon Myers
Rob Housler
Antonio Gates
RBs (FREE AGENTS)
Michael Turner
Beanie Wells
Ryan Grant
Cedric Benson
Willis McGahee

WRs
Justin Blackmon
Malcom Floyd
Darrius Heyward Bey
Brandon LaFell
WR EAGLES
Markus Wheaton
Robert Woods
Aaron Dobson
Reuben Randle
Brandon Lloyd (FREE AGENT)

IR (keeper stashes)
Percy Harvin
Jeremy Maclin
Denario Alexander
Marcus Lattimore
Dennis Pitta
MICHAEL CRABTREE: This was not even the last round of my draft.  In Round 9, someone drafted Percy Harvin.  This got me thinking about getting an IR stash of my own.  So in Round 11, I took Crabtree.  He hasn't officially been placed on the IR, but he should before the first game of the year...and that's plenty of time for me to pick up a kicker.  I can use the extra IR position that our league allows and then fill Crabtree's slot with whoever is available on the waiver wire.  It may be a guy who I want or it may not.  I don't really care.  If I need to stream kickers all year, that's not a problem.  As for Crabtree, I don't even care if he comes back this year or not.  He could be a decent keeper in 2014...


Cheers,
Bart


No comments:

Post a Comment