Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Guys I'll Let Someone Else Draft


I've been looking at rankings out there on the interweb, and I've noticed several players who I have ranked much lower than others have them ranked.  I also realized there are a few who I don't even have in my top 190 but made it into the top 100 in some people's lists.  So I thought I would post a few notes about these guys who I'm down on this year (by comparison).  Some of these are obvious and others are late rounders anyway.  If you looked at my rankings and noticed that a guy like Marshawn Lynch was pretty far down the board, I'd call that obvious.  If you completely forgot about someone like Steve Breaston, well good for you.  That would be a less obvious one, and although I didn't forget about him, it's OK if you did.  Trust me.  I'm a scientist.

I'll try to give some comments as to why I'll let someone else draft these guys.  Some of the comments I think are quite valid, while others are more of just a gut feel of mine.  So I understand if you completely disagree with me having a guy like Jordy Nelson on here.  I don't have a lot to back that one up, seeing as how he blew up last year and he still has Rodgers throwing to him in that high powered offense.  I'm just going to chalk that one up to my big gut, along with a few others.  Anyway, let's get to it.


Running Backs
Marshawn Lynch: Lots of people have Beast Mode ranked ahead of guys like Matt Forte and Darren McFadden.  Wow.  I'm not going to claim I can predict injuries, but this guy misses one or two games every year, and in 2010 he only played in four contests.  Yes, he had his best season last year, but let’s remember he had something to play for (straight cash, homie).  I don’t trust his motivation, and I just read something hot off the press that he got arrested last night for what sounds like a DUI.  I don’t like unpredictable guys like this on my squad, and my prediction is a mediocre season.

Fred Jackson: Coming off an injury and at age 31, I think Fred’s going a little too high for me.  If I’m going to take an older guy, I’d much rather have someone like Gore or Turner.  In fact, CJ Spiller a few rounds later is much more interesting to me than Jackson anyway.  I think this year will be closer to a 50/50 split with these two, with Spiller even getting the majority of the touches by the end of the year.

Roy Helu (or any other Redskins RB): As a Redskins fan, I hope Helu has a great year.  But as a fantasy footballer, I’ll let someone else draft him.  How can you trust Shanahan when it comes to fantasy?  I'll go ahead and mention Evan Royster here as well because I don’t even have him on my radar, and others have him ranked as a top backup.  Maybe I’m showing too much love for the University of Richmond grad, but I think Timmy’s knee will be just fine.  Any way you slice it though, I'm too close to this situation to take any of them.

Any Carolina Panthers RB: Here's another entire group that I'll be staying away from.  I feel like I end up with DeAngelo Williams just about every year, and lately that's because he keeps falling and falling to a point at which he appears to have value.  Let me tell you, it's not worth it.  The same can be said for Jonathan Stewart, and now they've also added Mike Tolbert to the mix.  I thought the fantasy situation was bad last year when Cam Newton emerged to vulture the goal line TDs, but now Tolbert is there too?  I might adjust my rankings to lower all three of these guys even more, but in reality, there's no way I'm drafting any of them.

Pierre Thomas: I’ve been burned by Pierre in the past, so maybe there's too much emotion involved with this pick, but this is another guy who always seems to have some kind of nagging injury.  He might get 100 carries and a handful of TDs, but I think Mark Ingram becomes the Thunder to Sproles's Lightning this year. 

A few others who I’ll let someone else take in the later rounds…
Joseph Addai: I’m probably not drafting any Patriot RB, but if I do I’ll take one of the youngins.
Bernard Scott: I think The Law Firm will get the same kind of workload they gave to Cedric Benson, meaning Scott gets 6 or 7 touches a game.  Even if Green-Ellis gets hurt, what has Bernard Scott ever done?
Kevin Smith: I like Jahvid Best to have a big year, and the only burn Kevin Smith should get will be a handful of touches in the first two weeks when Leshoure is serving a suspension.  Even if the first two guys on the depth chart BOTH go down with injuries, Smith probably will too with his injury history.
Joe McKnight: You recall that Tebow’s in town, right?  I don’t like Greene as much as in previous years, which means I really don’t like McKnight as a backup’s backup.


Wide Receivers
Jordy Nelson: There’s no denying the season Jordy had last year, but no way am I chasing those 15 TDs considering he had two in each of his first three years in the league.  I’m sure he’ll still have an OK year, but I think he’ll come back to earth in a big way (I’m thinking about 800 yards and 7 TDs).  Keep in mind that 5 of those 15 TDs came in the last two games of the season (which Greg Jennings wasn’t playing, and one of which was QB’d by Matt Flynn—3 TD game). 

Denarius Moore: I don’t even know why I ranked him.  He might have to come off in the next updated rankings.  The more I look at Darrius Heyward-Bey’s game log from last season, the more I think he and Carson Palmer have the connection going, not Palmer and Moore.  When I look at Moore’s game log, it’s the most inconsistent-looking thing I’ve ever seen.  I probably won’t take any Oakland WR.  But if I do, I’m jumping on the Heyward-Bey train.

Randy Moss: You’re going to believe Harbaugh’s statement that Randy is the 49ers “Best Receiver Right Now”?  Really???  I’m pretty sure he also said Michael Crabtree had “the best hands [he’d] ever seen on a wide receiver”.  OK, Jim.  If you want to draft a 49er, take David Akers in the last round.  Otherwise it’s just going to end in tears.  I’m not ranking Moss.  I think he’s done.

A few more quick ones…
Laurent Robinson: I don’t trust Gabbert throwing to anyone, but if I was going to take a Jacksonville WR, I’d take a flier on Blackmon, not Robinson.
Plaxico Burress: People are still ranking him?  Sure, give me Braylon Edwards while you’re at it too!  I think he’s currently a free agent, but even if someone picks him up, no thanks.
Steve Breaston: Jonathan Baldwin has emerged as the clear #2 in KC.  Even if you want to draft him in the last round because you want to name your team “Breaston Plants”, don’t do it.
James Jones: We know Rodgers will have a huge year and he’ll spread it around, but how many times are you going to hope that this guy has some kind of breakout year?  It’s not going to happen.  I think Randall Cobb finishes with more fantasy points, easily.
Vincent Brown: Again, not a lot of value with Floyd, Meachem, and oh yeah Antonio Gates on the depth chart.  Brown will be starving for catches along with Eddie Royal, who is also in the mix.


Quarterbacks
Alex Smith and Joe Flacco:  I’m just going to give you two because I’m pretty high on QBs in general.  I plan on taking one in the first couple of rounds, so hopefully this isn't relevant to me personally.  In fact, I highly recommend not waiting to draft a QB until the likes of Smith and Flacco are some of your better options.  Because let’s be real: these guys aren’t going to win you a fantasy football championship.  Take a chance on a guy like Andrew Luck or Matt Flynn (and even get them a couple rounds later probably).  Or maybe you take an even riskier chance on a guy like RGIII a couple rounds earlier.  Yes, there are some unknowns there, but you have a better chance of striking fantasy gold with these guys.  Meanwhile, you know what you’re getting with Smith and Flacco, and it’s called mediocrity.  Trust me, if you try to anchor your squad with a guy like Luck or Flynn and it doesn’t work out, you can always find a mediocre QB on the waiver wire to fill in.


Tight Ends
Tony Gonzalez: I can’t believe he was still putting up good numbers at the ripe old age of 35 last year, but he did.  And it’s not like I can point to his production declining steadily over the last few years (because it hasn’t).  I just think his ceiling is about 750 yards and 5 or 6 TDs.  On the other hand, there are a few players getting ranked/drafted behind him who I think could ultimately sneak into that top 5 TE by the end of the year, namely guys like Pettigrew, Cook, or even Tamme (IF Peyton is healthy).  Similar to the argument I made against Smith and Flacco, I’d just rather take a risk on one of the younger guys to breakout this year than take the safe pick of Gonzalez in the tier I have him ranked.

Owen Daniels: I want to like this guy, but neither the yards nor the TDs have ever been there.  He has a lot of talent, but I don’t see the Texans ever using him in a fantasy-productive way.  Again, this might be the last year I have this guy ranked at all, unless Arian Foster somehow gets eliminated from the picture.

Kellen Winslow: Zach Miller didn’t exactly tear it up for Seattle last year, but he’s still around.  I don’t see this being a situation like New England where two tight ends can have fantasy value, seeing as how Matt Flynn isn’t Tom Brady.  In fact, I think neither will have value because both will have very average numbers.


Defenses
49ers: Every year in my league, someone drafts a defense in the 9th or 10th round, and what inevitably follows is a big rush on them.  There may have been a time when I was involved in such tomfoolery, but now I think it's silly.  What also tends to happen just about every year for me is I won’t even finish the season with the defense that I drafted.  By week 11, 12, or sometimes even sooner, I’ll be playing the matchups and using the waiver wire.  The bottom line is this: I’m not going to draft the 49ers D when I might still be able to get the likes of a Peyton Hillis or a Greg Little.  It’s just not worth it.  Now with respect to the 49ers, I think they’ll probably have a good season.  But if you make it to the fantasy playoffs, will you feel confident enough to start them AT New England?  You just might be hunting for a better matchup on the waiver wire at that point.

NYG: Virtually no one drafts two defenses, so I only rank 12, and the Giants just don’t make my list.  Everyone else seems to be ranking them around 6th or 7th, but I don’t really get it.  They were 27th in yards per game last year and 25th in total points surrendered.  I realize they were 7th and 17th in those categories in 2010, respectively, but I don’t think you can blame all of that on injuries.  I’d rather have a defense like Seattle or Buffalo, who should have easier schedules and should also be available in the last couple of rounds.

OK.  I’ll give you a kicker…
Garrett Hartley: I understand why people are ranking him in their top 10 kickers.  The Saints score a lot of points.  I get it.  But back in April, the Saints also signed 42-year-old John Kasey to a one year deal, so there will be a competition in training camp.  Kasey had a great season in 2011 filling in for the injured Hartley.  By the way, Hartley’s injury was a hip flexor.  It’s not like he broke his wrist while dancing around like a Gramatica on Adderall.  Oh that’s right.  In 2009, Hartley was suspended for 4 games for testing positive for that.  I remember because I drafted him that year, waived him a week later, picked up some other kicker (who cares who it was), and everything was just fine.  Somehow I managed to still finish 2nd in the league that year.  Whew!  Thanks for nothing, Hartley.  Look, don’t spend too much time thinking about which kicker to take.  When it comes to his bye week, you might end up waiving him anyway.  The only reason I even include kickers at all in this blog is for comic relief.  


I hope some of this helped explain my rankings a little more and maybe even give you a few nuggets of knowledge to consider when you’re drafting.

Cheers,
Bart

No comments:

Post a Comment