Tuesday, July 10, 2012

First Timer

Hey there, internet.

So it's July, which means every sport is essentially on hiatus except for baseball (and as of this first post it's the All Star Break, so even they're taking time off).  By the way, I don't care to hear smack from fans of NASCAR, poker, or whatever else.  I get it.  I live in Virginia.  I've been to my share of races, and they're really fun.  But just because something is on ESPN doesn't mean it's a sport.  I also realize that the Summer Olympics are coming up in just a couple of weeks, and even though most of those events are also sports (ahem, archery?), like I said that's still a couple of weeks away.  So here goes...

July also means that it's time to start thinking about those upcoming fantasy football drafts.  I've been debating a blog for a couple of years now, and the only thing keeping me from doing it was the fear that the rest of the butt slappin bros in my league would know all of this stuff that I'm planning to write on here.
But then I thought:
1. Probably no one is going to read this, much less the dudes in my league.
2. Even if they do happen to stumble upon it, who cares?  I'm no expert.  I'm just a regular guy who loves fantasy football.  I listen to podcasts, read way too many articles, prep and re-prep for the upcoming season and then week to week once the games begin.  And the guys in the league are going to have their own rankings and form their own opinions, so I don't think I'm sharing any big secrets here.

Why should you listen to me/read my blog?  You probably shouldn't.  Like I said, I'm a pretty normal dude who's just really into fantasy football.  I'm also a Redskins fan in case you couldn't tell from the title of the blog, so this might give me something to do while they're sitting at 2-6 halfway through the season.  I've been in a highly competitive money league with my friends since the beginning of college.  I think we started with Sandbox when that was still around for free, but we've been using Yahoo since 2003 so I'm just going to lay out some of the numbers that are available from that.  By the way, the league has evolved from a $20 to $100 buy-in with some minor scoring changes here and there.  We also started doing keepers about four or five years ago, but essentially it's been the same competitive league with most of the same people/rules for the last 10 years or so.  In 2003 we had an 8 team league, 2004-2006 we had 10, and since 2007 we've been at 12 (with an unofficial waiting list of other friends who like to complain about being excluded).  

Here are my finishes from 2003-2011: 1st, 4th, 3rd, 7th, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 5th, 4th.

So I missed the playoffs one year, won the league twice, and my average finish is around 3rd.  I'm not trying to brag about my fantasy football skills, merely presenting the facts.  And I'm not trying to put this off as information that should encourage you to continue reading this.  By the way, you probably shouldn't.  I'm just trying to give you a little more background in case you actually are still reading this and want to know a little something about this random dude who is posting this fantasy football stuff.  


Want to know something else?  I get anxious waiting for other people's rankings to come out in June (and on Tuesday or Wednesday during the season), just to see what they think versus my rankings.  I've called, tweeted, emailed, live chatted various questions and comments to fantasy football "experts", only to get back information that I was already considering myself.  Start or sit questions getting answered with "Wow that is a tough one.  Really splitting hairs here, but blah blah blah."  I'm still going to listen to the radio shows and read the articles these guys put out because I really enjoy them and I get a lot of information from guys like Berry, Funston, etc.  But I just thought I'd put my own information out here as well.  If no one reads it, that's cool too.  This will be a place that I can at least come back to myself as a one stop shop to remember what I said about a particular guy or why I had guys like Knowshown Moreno ranked so highly in 2011.  Right now it's pretty much all in spreadsheets and word documents, so hopefully this will at least help with organization.  So let's talk about the rankings...


Again, this is THE main reason that I didn't do this years ago.  But whatever, I'm doing it.  No one's reading this anyway, right?  So what if the others in the league see how high I've ranked Demaryius Thomas and CJ Spiller?  I also don't care if they see how low I have team defenses on my list.  I'm probably going to wait around on drafting one whether or not someone knows it.  Inevitably someone in our draft is going to take a kicker in the next to last round (instead of the last round like a sane person).  I don't think it's going to kill me if they see that I have Gostkowski as my #1 ranked PK.  If they "steal" him from me, I'll live.  I'll live and I'll take the next guy on the list.  Or the last one.  Who cares?  They're KICKERS!!


OK so I'm still trying to figure out this whole blog thing.  I'm going to mess around with it a little and then be back with my rankings later this week (or maybe even today).


Cheers,
Bart


No comments:

Post a Comment