Wednesday, September 6, 2017

2017 Fantasy Football Week 1 Rankings

Image result for gronk fantasy football season signFantasy football drafts are in the books, and so are my preseason top-200 rankings.  The season kicks off tomorrow with the Chiefs facing the Patriots in Foxboro, so now it's time to get into the weekly rankings.  There will be plenty of players who will surprise us this year, and likely even more who will disappoint.  We're about to find out together who they are, and below you'll find my best guesses for Week 1.

Keep in mind the Dolphins/Bucs game has been moved to Week 11, so none of those players on are on my lists.  I know this sucks for a lot of fantasy owners, myself included.  I drafted Jameis Winston as my only QB, and I'm forced to hit the waiver wire earlier than expected.  I had to drop Zay Jones - a guy who I think will be the #1 WR for the Bills this year.  But oh well.  Kind of important to start a QB.  Let's do this, Sam Bradford!

Anyway...as usual, I'll give you some commentary after each position with a guy I like and a guy I don't like versus the ESPN consensus (non-PPR) rankings.

To the rankings!

QBs
1.Russell Wilson 
2.Tom Brady  
3.Matt Ryan
4.Aaron Rodgers
5.Marcus Mariota 
6.Cam Newton 
7.Drew Brees 
8.Derek Carr  
9.Ben Roethlisberger 
10.Kirk Cousins 
11.Carson Palmer
12.Dak Prescott
13.Matthew Stafford
14.Andy Dalton 
15.Sam Bradford  
16.Eli Manning 
17.Tyrod Taylor 
18.Carson Wentz 
19.Philip Rivers
20.Brian Hoyer

Image result for marcus mariotaI'm high on: Marcus Mariota (ESPN #10, ME #5) 
The Titans were great against the run but nearly the worst against the pass in 2016.  If they can stop Oakland's ground game, I think this will make for a high scoring affair, and one in which I like both QBs to produce.  But it's Mariota who I like even more with all of his weapons at WR and TE healthy to start the season.  Put me down for a top-5 finish for the Titan quarterback.

I'm down on: Matthew Stafford (ESPN #8, ME #13) 
With a healthy Ameer Abdullah, I like for the Lions to try to establish the run in their home opener.  Stafford was a terrible fantasy QB in the second half of the season last year, and I have a feeling he'll pick up where he left off.  I think Detroit may win this game, but I don't see Stafford as having a great fantasy performance.

RBs
1.David Johnson 
2.Le'Veon Bell
3.LeSean McCoy 
4.Devonta Freeman 
5.Ezekiel Elliott
6.Todd Gurley 
7.Melvin Gordon 
8.DeMarco Murray 
9.Jordan Howard 
10.Lamar Miller
11.Isaiah Crowell  
12.C.J. Anderson
13.Carlos Hyde
14.Dalvin Cook
15.Frank Gore 
16.Leonard Fournette 
17.Marshawn Lynch  
18.Kareem Hunt 
19.Ty Montgomery  
20.Rob Kelley 
21.Ameer Abdullah   
22.Jonathan Stewart  
23.Bilal Powell
24.Christian McCaffery    
25.Mark Ingram
26.Terrance West
27.Paul Perkins 
28.Adrian Peterson 
29.Danny Woodhead 
30.LeGarrette Blount 
31.Eddie Lacy
32.Tevin Coleman
33.Jeremy Hill  
34.Matt Forte
35.Mike Gillislee 
36.Thomas Rawls 
37.Darren Sproles
38.Theo Riddick  
39.Latavius Murray 
40.James White 
41.Duke Johnson 
42.Shane Vereen
43.Derrick Henry
44.Charcandrick West
45.Chris Thompson
46.Joe Mixon
47.C.J. Prosise
48.Jalen Richard
49.Jamaal Charles
50.Giovani Bernard

I'm high on: Frank Gore (ESPN 26, ME #15) 
With Andrew Luck sitting out Week 1, I see the Colts leaning heavily on the run game.  And it looks like Aaron Donald's hold out will continue into the regular season, which could leave some holes in the middle of the field for Gore to run through.  If Donald were playing in this game, I'd have Gore a bit lower because Indy's O-line is suspect.  But with Donald not playing, I think they could do OK and Gore could have a big day.

I'm down on: Christian McCaffery (ESPN 14, ME #24) & Joe Mixon (ESPN #31, ME #46)
Image result for christian mccaffrey panthersWeek 1 might be the only time I'll be able to be down on these rookies, but I'm going to say both have a slow start out of the gate.  The Bengals are facing a tough Baltimore defense, and Jeremy Hill is listed as the starter.  I don't see Mixon as a real flex option until we see just how many touches he'll get in a game.  As for McCaffery, I'm as excited as anyone to see him play his first real game in the NFL.  And it's in San Francisco, which is less than an hour from Stanford.  It just feels right for him to break out in Week 1, right?  Wrong!  While I do think he'll make a big play or two, I think it'll be Jonathan Stewart who finds the endzone and actually has a better fantasy day.  The 49ers were the worst team in the NFL against the run last season, but I think that'll help Stewart more than McCaffery.  Better days are ahead for the rookie, but I can't see ranking him as highly as the ESPN experts for his first game.

WRs
1.Antonio Brown 
2.Julio Jones
3.Doug Baldwin
4.Odell Beckham, Jr.
5.A.J. Green
6.Amari Cooper
7.Brandin Cooks
8.Michael Thomas 
9.Jordy Nelson 
10.Dez Bryant 
11.Michael Crabtree 
12.Larry Fitzgerald  
13.Tyrrelle Pryor   
14.Sammy Watkins
15.DeAndre Hopkins 
16.Stefon Diggs
17.Alshon Jeffery
18.Martavis Bryant    
19.Demaryius Thomas 
20.Kelvin Benjamin
21.Emmanuel Sanders 
22.T.Y. Hilton 
23.Tyreek Hill
24.Allen Robinson
25.Davante Adams    
26.Keenan Allen
27.Golden Tate   
28.Pierre Garcon 
29.Brandon Marshall  
30.Jamison Crowder
31.Jeremy Maclin  
32.Kevin White  
33.Mike Wallace
34.Chris Hogan
35.Tyrell Williams
36.Jordan Matthews 
37.Eric Decker
38.Ted Ginn 
39.Adam Thielen
40.John Brown

41.Robby Anderson  
42.Randall Cobb
43.Zay Jones 
44.Corey Coleman 
45.Donte Moncrief
46.Rishard Matthews
47.Kenny Britt
48.Paul Richardson
49.Kendall Wright 
50.Marquise Goodwin

Image result for martavis bryant catch gifI'm high on: Martavis Bryant (ESPN #28, ME #18) 
The one corner who could probably stop Antonio Brown or Martavis Bryant (Joe Haden) is now wearing a black and yellow jersey in this game.  The Browns will have to put their remaining best corner (whoever that is) on AB, which should leave Martavis open for some plays.  I think Big Ben will hit Bryant for a big touchdown in this one, and he'll end up as at least a top-20 WR this week.

I'm down on: Kenny Britt (ESPN #33, ME #47) 
If Britt ends up being a WR3 or better this week, it'll probably come in garbage time.  But I actually have Corey Coleman ranked ahead of Britt, as I think he has shown a bit more chemistry with Kizer in the preseason.  I wouldn't really trust either guy until I see the rookie QB throw to them in a real NFL game, which is why I have Britt (and Coleman for that matter) so low in Week 1.

TEs
1.Rob Gronkowski
2.Travis Kelce
3.Greg Olsen
4.Jimmy Graham  
5.Jordan Reed
6.Kyle Rudolph
7.Zach Ertz  
8.Tyler Eifert  
9.Delanie Walker
10.Martellus Bennett
11.Jack Doyle 
12.Coby Fleener  
13.Charles Clay 
14.Austin Hooper 
15.Jason Witten  

Image result for charles clayMy rankings are usually pretty similar to ESPN's for tight ends, and Week 1 of the 2017 season is no different.  I will point out that I'm quite a bit higher than the experts on Charles Clay (ESPN #21, ME #13).  I think with Tyrod's main WRs both being new guys (Zay Jones, Jordan Matthews), he may relay more heavily on his safety net.  I could see Clay ending up with 75 yards and a TD against the Jets.

DEF
1.Broncos 
2.Texans
3.Patriots 
4.Bills 
5.Steelers 
6.Cardinals 
7.Rams 
8.Panthers
9.Seahawks  
10.Vikings
11.Jags
12.Falcons

I'm high on: New England Patriots (ESPN #12, ME #3) 
Andy Reid is 1-5 all time versus Bill Belichick, with the most recent being a playoff loss in New England.  I think this game will feature better defense than offense actually, and I like the Patriots to shut down Alex Smith and the Chiefs.  I think they'll force turnovers and put up some big numbers tomorrow night...on the defensive side of the ball.

Image result for vontaze burfictI'm down on: Cincinnati Bengals (ESPN #10, ME NOT RANKED) 
We know the Bengals will be without Vontaze Burfict and Pacman Jones due to suspensions, and Shawn Williams is likely out with an elbow injury.  These are all big losses for Week 1 against a division rival, and I think Baltimore will (surprisingly) put up some points in this game.  I don't like the Bengals in this matchup without all of those key pieces on the defensive side of the ball.

Good luck to everyone in Week 1!  
(Except you, Mike...)

Cheers,
Bart

No comments:

Post a Comment