Wednesday, September 7, 2016

2016 Fantasy Football Week 1 Rankings

Image result for devonta freeman image
There's always a little bit of uncertainty in these first couple of weeks of the fantasy season, and this year is no different.  Looking at my Week 1 rankings from last year, here is a top-10 of what I thought I knew (and didn't):

1. Peyton Manning and Matt Ryan were both top options in Week 1.
2. The top-10 RBs included Eddie Lacy and CJ Anderson.
3. Meanwhile, Devonta Freeman was not even in the top-40.
4. Dez Bryant was the #1 WR to start the first week.
5. Randall Cobb and Jordan Matthews were also top-12 picks.
6. DeAndre Hopkins was not.
7. Davante Adams was in the top-20.
8. Allen Robinson and Brandon Marshal were not.
9. Jimmy Graham was to be a top-5 TE every week.
10. Even Browns fans had never heard of Gary Barnidge.

Who will surprise and who will disappoint in 2016?  We're about to find out.  As usual, I'll give you some commentary after each position with a guy I like and a guy I don't like versus the ESPN consensus rankings (as of right now).

Let's get to it!

QBs
1.Aaron Rodgers 
2.Drew Brees  
3.Russell Wilson  
4.Andrew Luck
5.Derek Carr  
6.Ben Roethlisberger 
7.Carson Palmer  
8.Cam Newton
9.Matthew Stafford  
10.Eli Manning 
11.Kirk Cousins 
12.Blake Bortles  
13.Jameis Winston 
14.Tyrod Taylor  
15.Matt Ryan 
16.Alex Smith 
17.Marcus Mariota 
18.Philip Rivers 
19.Andy Dalton 
20.Dak Prescott

Image result for carson palmerI'm high on: Carson Palmer (ESPN #11, ME #7) 
A top-5 fantasy QB in 2015, Palmer faces a middle of the road pass defense from last year.  In fact, the best pass rusher for the Patriots last season (Chandler Jones) is now wearing a Cardinals uniform.  Palmer didn't look great in the preseason, but who cares?  It's the preseason!  I say he throws for over 300 yards and at least 2 TDs, which he's done in every opener he's played since 2010 (except for one).


I'm down on: Philip Rivers (ESPN #14, ME #18) 
Rivers faces a Chiefs defense that gave up the 2nd lowest QB rating to opposing teams in 2015, and they were nearly a top-5 defense against fantasy QBs.  His combined stats against Kansas City the two times he faced them last year were 441 passing yards, 0 TDs, and 2 INTs.  He hasn't thrown a TD pass at Arrowhead since the 2013 season, and I don't like him in this opener.

RBs
1.Adrian Peterson 
2.Todd Gurley
3.Lamar Miller 
4.David Johnson 
5.Ezekiel Elliott
6.Devonta Freeman
7.Eddie Lacy 
8.Mark Ingram  
9.Doug Martin 
10.Latavius Murray 
11.LeSean McCoy 
12.DeAngelo Williams 
13.Carlos Hyde
14.Spencer Ware   
15.Ryan Mathews 
16.Rashad Jennings  
17.CJ Anderson  
18.Frank Gore   
19.Jeremy Langford  
20.DeMarco Murray  
21.Jonathan Stewart  
22.Matt Forte 
23.Jeremy Hill
24.Christine Michael 
25.Ameer Abdullah   
26.Melvin Gordon 
27.Arian Foster 
28.LeGarrette Blount 
29.Matt Jones  
30.Giovani Bernard   
31.Chris Ivory   
32.Isaiah Crowell 
33.Danny Woodhead    
34.Justin Forsett  
35.Charles Sims 
36.Derrick Henry 
37.Duke Johnson    
38.James White 
39.Thomas Rawls 
40.Terrance West 
41.TJ Yeldon 
42.Theo Riddick
43.Bilal Powell
44.DeAndre Washington
45.Rob Kelley

I'm high on: LeGarrette Blount (ESPN #40, ME #28) 
Image result for legarrette blount fantasy
Picking the right Patriot RB in fantasy can be tough, but I'm going out on a limb with Blount in Week 1.  I think the game flow will dictate that Garoppolo hand the rock off, and New England will try to march down the field with the power running game.  Otherwise, I think this one could quickly get away from the Patriots.  I could easily be totally wrong here, but I think Blount is a safe play as a FLEX, but the ESPN guys totally disagree.

I'm down on: DeAngelo Williams (ESPN #4, ME #12) 
I understand that Le'Veon Bell isn't playing in this game.  Believe me, I get it.  I drafted DeAngelo and will be playing him this week.  But a top-5 play?  I hope I'm wrong here, but I just can't see ranking him ahead of guys like Eddie Lacy or Latavius Murray (ESPN has both of them tied for 12th, which is where I think DeAngelo belongs).

WRs
1.Antonio Brown 
2.Julio Jones
3.Odell Beckham, Jr. 
4.DeAndre Hopkins 
5.Allen Robinson 
6.AJ Green
7.Sammy Watkins 
8.Amari Cooper 
9.Mike Evans 
10.Brandin Cooks 
11.Brandon Marshall  
12.Dez Bryant    
13.Alshon Jeffery 
14.Jeremy Maclin 
15.Randall Cobb    
16.Keenan Allen   
17.Doug Baldwin 
18.TY Hilton 
19.DeMaryius Thomas
20.Eric Decker   
21.Larry Fitzgerald   
22.Golden Tate 
23.Jarvis Landry 
24.Julian Edelman  
25.Donte Moncrief   
26.Marvin Jones Jr. 
27.Willie Snead    
28.Michael Floyd 
29.Michael Crabtree  
30.Jordy Nelson     
31.John Brown  
32.Allen Hurns 
33.Jordan Matthews  
34.Emmanuel Sanders  
35.Tyler Lockett 
36.Devin Funchess
37.DeSean Jackson 
38.Corey Coleman 
39.Tavon Austin 
40.Sterling Shepard 
41.Stefon Diggs
42.Vincent Jackson 
43.Torrey Smith
44.Kamar Aiken
45.Kevin White

I'm high on: Willie Snead (ESPN #38, ME #27) 
Oakland gave up the 7th most passing yards in 2015, and Drew Brees is an animal at home.  I think he'll light up the scoreboard in this one, and Snead should get in plenty on the action.  He's a borderline WR2 in this matchup.

Image result for jordy nelson injuryI'm down on: Jordy Nelson (ESPN #8, ME #30) 
With Jordy coming off a torn ACL, I think Green Bay will be smart and ease him back into things this year.  I think he'll be more of a decoy for a handful of weeks, and I think Randall Cobb will benefit big time early on.  You may also notice I ranked Devin Funchess and not Kelvin Benjamin this week, as Ron Rivera has confirmed Benjamin will be on a snap count early on.  I obviously expect the same for Jordy, and both might be tough to rank (and start) in the first few weeks of the season.

TEs
1.Rob Gronkowski
2.Jordan Reed 
3.Greg Olsen 
4.Travis Kelce 
5.Delanie Walker
6.Coby Fleener
7.Gary Barnidge
8.Julius Thomas
9.Zach Ertz
10.Dwayne Allen
11.Antonio Gates
12.Jason Witten
I'm high on: Dwayne Allen (ESPN #15, ME #10) 
Image result for dwayne allen colts fantasyThe Lions gave up the 4th most fantasy points to tight ends last season, and Allen figures to benefit a great deal from the departure of Coby Fleener.  I expect him to start the year off with a decent game, and I could see him with 60 yards and a TD against Detroit.


I'm down on: Martellus Bennett (ESPN #11, ME not ranked) 
I realize the Patriots are likely to run a lot of two tight end sets, but I just don't believe in Garoppolo like I do Tom Brady.  We'll see how this shakes out, but I'm not going to rank two tight ends on the same team in Week 1, especially when that team is starting their backup QB. 

DEF
1.Seahawks  
2.Cardinals   
3.Panthers 
4.Texans  
5.Broncos 
6.Chiefs
7.Rams 
8.Vikings 
9.Bengals 
10.Jets
11.Packers
12.Bills

Image result for chandler jones cardinalsI'm high on: Arizona Cardinals (ESPN #8, ME #2) 
I guess everyone believes in Jimmy Garoppolo, but count me as not one of those people.  I think Arizona will dominate this game, and I don't think it'll be close.  I could easily see New England making some adjustments and winning their next 3 games (which are all at home against decent but not great opponents).  But as for Sunday night, I'm a believer in the Cardinals.

I'm down on: Green Bay Packers (ESPN #5, ME #11) 
I actually drafted the Packers in my league, but then I realized later on that no one drafted the Rams so I picked them up.  I'm more of a streaming defense kind of guy anyway.  As for Green Bay, I like them OK in this game in Jacksonville, but I don't see them as a top-5 play.  The Jags improved on offense with the addition of Chris Ivory, and Bortles and his entire receiving corps are healthy and more mature.  I think this game could have a ton of points, and I don't think the Packers are a must-start this week.

Good luck to everyone in Week 1!  
(Except you, Billy...)

Cheers,
Bart

No comments:

Post a Comment