Tuesday, September 4, 2012

2012 Fantasy Football Rankings v2.3


I listened to a good amount of sports radio last week, but it wasn't in RVA.  I was in Cleveland for work, and it was interesting to hear the local guys' takes on their sports teams, most notably, the Brownies.  It made me realize the similarities between them and the Redskins (stuck in 4 to 6-win seasons, putting a lot of faith into rookies, those star rookies appearing in local Subway ads, and the list goes on and on).  Thinking about how the Skins compare to the Browns got me a little down, but then I cheered up because of the way Cleveland (and Richmond/DC) guys talk about their teams at this point in the year.  Hope springs eternal with everyone at 0-0.  A playoff run is not out of the question (at least until we realize just how good, or not so good, everyone is around week 5 or 6).

That being said for real football, with my personal draft this past Saturday, I'm now ready with my squad for the fantasy season.  My house still smells a little like beer and farts, but the floor is no longer littered with bottles, cans, and fantasy football magazines.  That's all cleaned up.  What remains are a lot of promising teams on white pieces of paper taped to my living room wall (those are probably coming down today though...sorry, guys).  That hope is going to turn into wins for some teams and tears for others, but for the most part everyone is optimistic...for now.

I wanted to get an update out before my draft, but I also wanted to wait until the 53-man rosters were finalized at 9:00pm EST last Friday, just in case there were to be anymore last minute movers and shakers.  Needless to say, there were some Friday night pre-draft festivities, so that update didn't happen.  I tried to take a hard look at the bottom of my rankings, moving guys out of the top-168 if I really wasn't planning on drafting them.  That doesn't mean that they won't be a week one or two waiver wire pickup, but it does mean they were off my radar on my draft day.  There's just not room for everyone on this list.  Sorry, Pierre Thomas.  The fact is though, there weren't many changes to make (at least not yet).

This version is going to be a little more personal for my draft though, as I'm going to put keepers in parentheses, and I'll also highlight my draft results in blue.  I have five guys in my personal top 35 (first three rounds in a 12-team league), so I'm pretty pleased with that.  Apparently I also stuck pretty true to my rankings, which I'm happy about as well.  I didn't draft a kicker because I wanted to see how some week one running back situations play out before I decide on who to drop.  Again, it doesn't matter.  It's a KICKER!

Happy drafting to anyone who's doing it last-minute, and let's get ready for some football Wednesday night!


1. (Arian Foster)
2. Ray Rice
3. LeSean McCoy
4. Aaron Rodgers
5. Tom Brady
6. Drew Brees
7. Calvin Johnson
8. Chris Johnson
9. Maurice Jones-Drew: With the holdout over, he goes up to here.  Wish I'd known sooner...
10.(Darren McFadden)
11.(Jimmy Graham)
12.(Rob Gronkowski)
13.Matt Forte: Still got Forte with the 9th pick, which is about where I had him.
14.Steven Jackson
15.Jamaal Charles
16.Larry Fitzgerald
17.Brandon Marshall
18.Greg Jennings
19.(Green-Ellis)
20.(Ahmad Bradshaw)
21.(DeMarco Murray)
22.(Matthew Stafford)
23.(Cam Newton)
24.Adrian Peterson: My second round pick, not too confident in the knee, but we'll see.
25.(Ryan Mathews): My "top" keeper is still on the shelf, but practicing a little this week already.
26.Roddie White
27.Julio Jones
28.Andre Johnson
29.(Wes Welker)
30.(Brandon Lloyd)
31.Percy Harvin
32.(AJ Green)
33.(Hakeem Nicks): My other keeper, also not 100% healthy, but he's close.
34.Trent Richardson
35.Antonio Gates: I was the first to draft a tight end (with Gronk and Graham keepers).
36.(Victor Cruz)
37.(Marshawn Lynch): Not that it matters for my draft, but suspension should be minimal (if any).
38.Michael Turner
39.Frank Gore
40.Reggie Bush
41.Doug Martin
42.(Dez Bryant)
43.(Marques Colston)
44.Michael Vick
45.Darren Sproles
46.(Fred Jackson)
47.Willis McGahee
48.Demaryius Thomas
49.(Antonio Brown)
50.Mike Wallace
51.(Steve Smith)
52.Jordy Nelson
53.Dwayne Bowe: My fourth round pick, I felt like it was time to jump on a WR.
54.Jeremy Maclin
55.Aaron Hernandez
56.Philip Rivers: QBs were going fast.  I don't like having 3 Chargers, but oh well.
57.Donald Brown
58.Stevan Ridley
59.Beanie Wells
60.Torrey Smith
61.(Eric Decker)
62.Vincent Jackson
63.Stevie Johnson
64.Miles Austin
65.Vernon Davis
66.Jermichael Finley
67.Peyton Hillis
68.Shonn Greene
69.Eli Manning
70.Tony Romo
71.Peyton Manning
72.DeShaun Jackson
73.Pierre Garcon
74.Mark Ingram: I like where he fell, and I love his keeper potential.
75.Cedric Benson: Has the potential to get a lot of carries in Green Bay.
76.Isaac Redman: Just not that confident in his value as a #1 running back.
77.CJ Spiller
78.Reggie Wayne
79.Darrius Heyward-Bey
80.Jared Cook: Actually got him at end of the draft (not where I have him ranked here).
81.Fred Davis
82.Jason Witten
83.Michael Bush
84.Ben Tate
85.Ryan Williams
86.Toby Gerhart: Thought it'd be smart to get AP's handcuff with his week one in question.
87.David Wilson
88.Kevin Smith
89.RGIII
90.(Matt Ryan)
91.(Anquan Boldin)
92.Lance Moore: I'm big on Moore this year with Meachem gone. Could be a good flex.
93.Robert Meachem
94.Greg Little
95.Mike Williams
96.Denarius Moore
97.Josh Freeman
98.Mikel Leshoure
99.Ronnie Brown: I decided to handcuff Mathews too.  Tried to cover all my bases.
100.Lagarette Blount
101.DeAngelo Williams
102.Jacquizz Rodgers: Moved up based on preseason hype and keeper potential.
103.Brandon Pettigrew
104.Jacob Tamme
105.Coby Fleener
106.Malcom Floyd
107.Titus Young
108.Kenny Britt: Only one game suspension.  Too much talent not to take a chance.
109.Jon Baldwin
110.Sidney Rice
111.Randall Cobb
112.Montario Hardesty: Took with last pick over a kicker (might start week one).
113.Daniel Thomas
114.Robert Turbin
115.Ronnie Hillman
116.Jonathan Stewart
117.Jay Cutler
118.Andrew Luck
119.Big Ben
120.Carson Palmer
 

121.Greg Olsen
122.Jermaine Gresham
123.Tony Gonzalez
124.Justin Blackmon
125.Brandon LaFell
126.Nate Washington
127.Michael Crabtree
128.Danny Amendola: A solid pick this late.  Might be #1 WR in STL.
129.Rashad Jennings: Had to move down a lot with MJD back.
130.Shane Vereen
131.Alex Green
132.Evan Royster
133.Roy Helu
134.Mike Goodson
135.Felix Jones
136.Isaiah Pead
137.Kendall Hunter
138.Michael Floyd
139.Kendall Wright
140.Rashard Mendenhall
141.Bernard Scott
142.Dion Lewis
143.Bernard Pierce
144.Javon Ringer
145.Bears DEF
146.Jets DEF
147.Eagles DEF
148.49ers DEF
149.Steelers DEF
150.Ravens DEF
151.Bills DEF: I wanted either them or Seattle, and the Seahawks were gone.
152.Seahawks DEF
153.Patriots DEF
154.Packers DEF
155.Texans DEF
156.Lions DEF
157.Gostkowski (bye:9)
158.Akers (bye:9)
159.Prater (bye:7)
160.Bailey (bye:5)
161.Janikowski (bye:5)
162.Henery (bye:7)
163.Bryant (bye:7)
164.Crosby (bye:10)
165.Gould (bye:6)
166.Rackers (bye:10)
167.Bironas (bye:11)
168.Hanson (bye:5)

Below are a few guys who I think might sneak into my rankings in the weeks to come:

David Nelson 
Jerome Simpson  
Doug Baldwin
Brian Quick
Davone Bess
Devery Henderson
Alshon Jeffery
Delone Carter
Vick Ballard
Curtis Brinkley
Philip Tanner
Pierre Thomas
James Starks
Alfred Morris
Tim Hightower
Ryan Grant (free agent)

No comments:

Post a Comment