Tuesday, September 4, 2018

2018 Fantasy Football Week 1 Rankings

Unless you're like me and have a last minute draft tomorrow night, by now you've likely drafted your fantasy teams.  I sure hope that's the case because the season starts in less than 48 hours with the Falcons versus the Eagles on Thursday night.  My only hope is for there to be a repeat of last year's NFL opening game when the visiting Chiefs stomped the Patriots in Foxboro.  I don't know if that same scenario is likely to happen in Philly, but it's definitely possible with some key injuries for the defending Super Bowl champs.

With the NFL regular season upon us, it's time to get into the weekly rankings.  Below you'll find my best guesses for Week 1, and as usual, I'll give you some commentary after each position with a guy I like and a guy I don't like versus the ESPN consensus (standard/non-PPR) rankings.  I'll start the year off by ranking a ton of RBs and WRs, but I'll definitely narrow the list down by the time the Week 4 bye comes around.  This is an early Tuesday edition of what's usually my weekly Wednesday rankings, but with my other fantasy draft tomorrow night, I thought I'd get these done a day early.

Let's get to the rankings, shall we?

QBs
1.Aaron Rodgers 
2.Drew Brees 
3.Tom Brady  
4.Cam Newton 
5.Matthew Stafford
6.Deshaun Watson
7.Philip Rivers 
8.Russell Wilson 
9.Kirk Cousins   
10.Andy Dalton
11.Jared Goff 
12.Andrew Luck
13.Marcus Mariota 
14.Matt Ryan 
15.Ben Roethlisberger   
16.Alex Smith
17.Nick Foles
18.Tyrod Taylor 
19.Dak Prescott 
20.Jimmy Garoppolo

Image result for andy daltonI'm high on: Andy Dalton (ESPN #17, ME #10) 
Is anyone afraid of Indy's defense?  I'm sure Andy Dalton isn't.  He has a healthy Tyler Eifert (at least for Week 1), and that's a big reason I'm ranking him in my top-10.  I also think Andrew Luck could start out fairly well, and I see this game being somewhat of a shootout.  The Red Rifle is a very startable fantasy quarterback against the Colts, and A.J. Green is likely going to start the year off with a monster game.

I'm down on: Patrick Mahomes (ESPN #15, ME NOT RANKED) 
Forgive me for not believing in (basically) a rookie QB on the road against one of the best defenses in the league, but I'm not ready to buy into Mahomes just yet.  Everyone likes his upside/weapons, and I do too.  I'd just be a little nervous about starting him against this defense in Week 1.  I'd feel much better about a widely available QB like the guys I ranked 16-19.

RBs
1.Todd Gurley 
2.Alvin Kamara
3.David Johnson 
4.Ezekiel Elliott
5.Le'Veon Bell
6.Melvin Gordon 
7.Leonard Fournette 
8.Christian McCaffery  
9.Kareem Hunt 
10.Saquon Barkley 
11.Alex Collins
12.Joe Mixon
13.Lamar Miller 
14.Devonta Freeman  
15.Dalvin Cook 
16.Jordan Howard 
17.LeSean McCoy 
18.Jay Ajayi
19.Jamaal Williams  
20.Derrick Henry 
21.Royce Freeman   
22.Rex Burkhead 
23.Carlos Hyde
24.Marshawn Lynch 
25.Chris Carson 
26.Kenyan Drake
27.Peyton Barber
28.Adrian Peterson  
29.Dion Lewis
30.Matt Breida 
31.Jordan Wilkins    
32.Isaiah Crowell  
33.Ty Montgomery  
34.Bilal Powell 
35.Latavius Murray  
36.Tevin Coleman
37.Alfred Morris
38.Duke Johnson
39.James White 
40.Chris Thompson 
41.Devontae Booker  
42.Frank Gore 
43.Giovani Bernard
44.C.J. Anderson  
45.Tarik Cohen 
46.Ronald Jones 
47.Jeremy Hill 
48.LeGarrette Blount  
49.Corey Clement
50.Theo Riddick 

I'm high on: Latavius Murray (ESPN #47, ME #35) 
I like Dalvin Cook this year, but how sure are we that he'll have a full workload Week 1 coming off a serious knee injury?  I like Latavius Murray to get some carries in this game and likely all of the goal line work.  That could mean 40-50 yards and a touchdown against a weak Niner defense.  The Vikings could play it somewhat safe with Dalvin and could also have a decent lead against San Fran, all of which would make Latavius a sneaky FLEX option.

Image result for kerryon johnson running backs lionsI'm down on: Kerryon Johnson (ESPN #36, ME NOT RANKED)
Just like with Mahomes, I'm a little shy about ranking a rookie RB so highly in Week 1.  And it's not just because he's a rookie RB.  It's because he's a rookie RB who has three other RBs who are likely to be in the mix as well.  This backfield situation in Detroit is so murky, I don't see how you could be confident about starting Kerryon Johnson on Monday night.  Maybe he goes off like Kareem Hunt did last year, but I highly doubt it.  I'd wait a couple of weeks to see how this backfield situation shakes out before plugging this rookie into my lineup.  As for guys like Saquon and Royce Freeman, I'd go for it.

WRs
1.Antonio Brown 
2.Michael Thomas 
3.A.J. Green
4.DeAndre Hopkins 
5.Julio Jones
6.Davante Adams   
7.Keenan Allen
8.Mike Evans 
9.T.Y. Hilton 
10.Stefon Diggs
11.Odell Beckham, Jr.
12.Chris Hogan
13.Larry Fitzgerald 
14.Brandin Cooks
15.Tyreek Hill   
16.Golden Tate 
17.Demaryius Thomas 
18.Adam Thielen
19.JuJu Smith-Schuster
20.Marvin Jones
21.Doug Baldwin
22.Jarvis Landry
23.Amari Cooper  
24.Devin Funchess
25.Michael Crabtree
26.Allen Robinson  
27.Nelson Agholor
28.Randall Cobb
29.Josh Gordon 
30.Robby Anderson 
31.Corey Davis
32.Emmanuel Sanders  
33.Kelvin Benjamin 
34.Sammy Watkins 
35.Kenny Stills
36.Cooper Kupp
37.Marquise Goodwin
38.Jamison Crowder 
39.Keelan Cole
40.Robert Woods
41.Allen Hurns
42.Will Fuller
43.Tyler Lockett 
44.Mike Wallace 
45.Rishard Matthews
46.Pierre Garcon  
47.Jordy Nelson 
48.Mike Williams
49.Sterling Shepard
50.John Brown

I'm high on: Devin Funchess (ESPN #38, ME #24) 
Image result for devin funchessSo everyone agrees Cam Newton will be a top-5 fantasy QB in his opener against the Cowboys, but his #1 WR is 38th?  Yeah I don't get that.  Greg Olsen is healthy, and the Panthers added Torrey Smith and rookie D.J. Moore.  But it's Funchess who really knows this offense and is a primary option for Cam in the passing game.  I like for him to get a ton of targets in this contest and easily finish in the WR2 conversation this week.

I'm down on: Robert Woods (ESPN #28, ME #40) 
I'm also a little down on Cooper Kupp, but I'm high on Brandin Cooks versus the ESPN experts.  This basically comes down to the fact that I don't expect all three of those WRs to be in the top-30 this week.  Is it possible?  Sure.  Is it probable?  No, it's not.  I do think the Rams will destroy Oakland on Monday Night Football, but I also think it'll be with a heavy dose of Gurley.  I wouldn't count on all of these Ram receivers to produce in Week 1, and that's the problem I have with ESPN ranking all of them so highly.

TEs
1.Rob Gronkowski
2.Zach Ertz  
3.Jimmy Graham  
4.Jordan Reed
5.Delanie Walker
6.Greg Olsen
7.Kyle Rudolph 
8.Travis Kelce   
9.Tyler Eifert 
10.Trey Burton
11.Evan Engram
12.David Njoku
Image result for jordan reed

I'm high on: Jordan Reed (ESPN #10, ME #4) 
Call it a homer pick if you want, but I'm also high on Eifert.  These guys have trouble staying on the field, but when they're healthy, you get them into your fantasy lineup.  Alex Smith likes throwing to his tight end, and Jordan Reed is a good one.  I just hope he comes out of Week 1 in one piece...

I'm down on: Travis Kelce (ESPN #2, ME #8) 
I obviously don't trust Mahomes just yet, and the Chargers have a good defense.  You're starting Kelce if you drafted him, but I just think #2 is a bit high for him this week.

DEF
1.Ravens 
2.Jags 
3.Lions
4.Rams
5.Saints
6.Vikings
7.Chargers  
8.Broncos 
9.Patriots
10.Panthers  
11.Packers  
12.Titans 

There's not really a fantasy defense I'm that high/low on versus the ESPN experts, but I'm sure that'll change in Week 2.

Until then, good luck to everyone in Week 1!  
(Except you, Carl...)

Cheers,
Bart

No comments:

Post a Comment