Wednesday, November 8, 2017

2017 Fantasy Football Week 10 Rankings

Going into last week, I was sitting at 4th place in my league with a 4-4 record and most points scored, and I couldn't seem to catch a break with my schedule.  Well, barring a stat correction, I finally caught a break.  I faced the team with the fewest points scored in the league, and I won 60.43-59.73! 

Image result for jameis winstonObviously last week was a rough one, but a win is a win.  I definitely didn't live up to the "most points scored" designation, but with half of your team on a bye or injured, it makes it tough to even field a team.  And my QB situation was brutal, as Deshaun Watson tore his ACL in practice mid-week, and Jameis Winston (who I started) exited the game with the same shoulder injury he's been dealing with for weeks.  So down to zero quarterbacks and unable to make a trade, my top waiver wire choices this week were Rivers, Eli, and Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Rivers is not an option because he's facing Jacksonville, though I did pick him up because I think he'll be a good solution for the rest of the season.  I'm going with Eli over the Amish Rifle, and we'll see what happens.  I'm still in 4th place (please no stat correction!) and still with the most points scored, though not by much anymore.  My trade deadline is this Saturday, and yours might be too, so you might want to check on that in your league.

To the rankings!

BYE: Baltimore, Kansas City, Oakland, Philadelphia

QBs
1.Russell Wilson    
2.Dak Prescott 
3.Matthew Stafford   
4.Tom Brady 
5.Jared Goff 
6.Tyrod Taylor
7.Drew Brees
8.Cam Newton 
9.Ben Roethlisberger
10.Josh McCown
11.Matt Ryan
12.Marcus Mariota
13.Kirk Cousins
14.Andy Dalton
15.Eli Manning

I nailed both of my QB picks versus the ESPN experts for the second week in a row.  I was high on Josh McCown on Thursday Night Football (ESPN #17, ME #12) because I thought he'd continue his streak of throwing for multiple touchdown passes.  And while he technically didn't make that 5 in a row, he did have one rushing TD to go with one passing TD and finished as the #13 fantasy QB in Week 9.

I was down on Cam Newton (ESPN #6, ME #11), who hadn't thrown for multiple touchdown passes since Week 5 in Detroit, and he kept that streak rolling as he didn't throw for even one TD pass.  He did have a ton of rushing yards and a score, so he salvaged his day there.  But he finished just ahead of Josh McCown as the #12 fantasy QB for the week.  It's possible he gets a stat correction tomorrow for McCaffery's rushing TD, as it looked like a forward pass.  So maybe he ends up about where ESPN ranked him, but we'll see.  As of this writing, he finished outside of the top-10.

Image result for jared goffI'm high on: Jared Goff (ESPN #10, ME #5)
If we remove the Browns from the equation, the Texans have given up top-10 fantasy QB numbers to opposing signal callers in every game since/including Week 5.  Not so coincidentally, that was the same week their defense lost J.J. Watt and Whitney Mercilus to season-ending injuries.  The likes of Alex Smith and Russell Wilson have each put up 30+ fantasy points on Houston, and even Jacoby Brissett managed 300 yards and a pair of TDs last week at NRG Stadium.  Meanwhile, Goff is coming off the best game of his young career in which he threw for over 300 yards and 4 TDs.  I'm not saying he'll match that total, but I think he'll be close and find himself in the top-5 this week.

I'm down on: Matt Ryan (ESPN #4, ME #11
Someone who I don't think will end up in the top-5 this week is Matt Ryan.  Why do I think that?  Well, he hasn't been a top-5 fantasy quarterback all season.  Not once.  Not all year.  So why is he in ESPN's top-5?  I guess he had a pretty good game last week in Carolina, but that was the first time he threw for over 300 yards since Week 1.  It was also just his third multi-touchdown game this year.  With several starting QBs injured and a handful of good ones on a bye this week, you could certainly do worse than Ryan.  But I don't think he'll be a top-5 fantasy QB this week, especially against a Dallas defense that hasn't given up a top-5 fantasy day to a QB since Week 2.

RBs
1.Le'Veon Bell
2.Ezekiel Elliott
3.Leonard Fournette
4.Todd Gurley
5.Melvin Gordon
6.LeSean McCoy 
7.Jordan Howard
8.Carlos Hyde   
9.Mark Ingram
10.Devonta Freeman    
11.Alvin Kamara  
12.Christian McCaffery
13.Lamar Miller 
14.Adrian Peterson 
15.Doug Martin  
16.Jerick McKinnon 
17.DeMarco Murray 
18.Joe Mixon 
19.Orleans Darkwa    
20.Matt Forte 
21.Isaiah Crowell
22.Frank Gore  
23.Kenyan Drake   
24.Tevin Coleman 
25.Ty Montgomery 
26.Derrick Henry 
27.Latavius Murray 
28.Ameer Adbullah 
29.Duke Johnson
30.C.J. Anderson  
31.Thomas Rawls
32.Rob Kelley 
33.Bilal Powell  
34.James White
35.Damien Williams
36.Dion Lewis
37.Theo Riddick  
38.Chris Thompson 
39.Tarik Cohen
40.Devontae Booker

I made a bit of a risky pick last week in Kenyan Drake (ESPN #36, ME #24) because no one really knew how that backfield would shake out after Ajayi went to Philly.  But I mentioned how the Raiders had allowed an opposing running back to score double-digit fantasy points every week since Matt Forte failed to do so in Week 2, so I was confident in at least one of the Dolphin RBs last week.  In fact, Oakland allowed both Drake and Williams to finish as top-20 fantasy RBs in Week 9, so I got this pick right. 

As for my Matt Forte pick, that was way off.  I was down on him versus the experts (ESPN #25, ME NOT RANKED), so naturally he found the end zone for the first time ALL SEASON.  Not only that, but he did it twice and finished as a top-5 RB!  Geez...

I'm high on: Ty Montgomery (ESPN #41, ME #25)
You may not have noticed, but Ty Montgomery actually outsnapped and outgained Aaron Jones in Week 9 against the Lions.  Jones got the start, but that was about it.  I feel like the rookie had his time to shine while Monty was banged up, but it looks like the latter got healthy over the bye week.  This will likely still be a committee, but I like the veteran to lead it while he's healthy.  I didn't even rank Aaron Jones this week, but sites like ESPN and others all have him around where I've ranked Montgomery.  Maybe I'm missing something, but I just disagree with all of the experts on this one.  We'll see what happens in Chicago this week, but I'll give you someone other than Jones who I don't like as much as the experts, and it won't be Jonathan Stewart again (even though ESPN ranked him in their top-30 and he's not even in my top-40).

I'm down on: Chris Thompson (ESPN #18, ME #38)
Image result for chris thompson rob kelleyI love this guy, but he hasn't had a good game in a couple of weeks.  And in those two weeks, it's been Rob Kelley who has found the endzone 3 times (and I have Kelley ranked slightly ahead of Thompson because of that).  This week, the Redskins face the Vikings, who are coming off a bye and are giving up the fewest fantasy points to opposing RBs this season.  I think it'll be tough to find room to move against Minnesota, and I don't think Thompson will be anywhere near an RB2 in Week 10.





WRs
1.Antonio Brown
2.Julio Jones  
3.A.J. Green 
4.Doug Baldwin 
5.Michael Thomas 
6.DeAndre Hopkins
7.Golden Tate    
8.Dez Bryant 
9.Brandin Cooks 
10.Marvin Jones, Jr.
11.Adam Thielen 
12.Larry Fitzgerald 
13.Demaryius Thomas
14.T.Y. Hilton  
15.Devin Funchess
16.Robby Anderson  
17.Stefon Diggs 
18.Jarvis Landry
19.Sterling Shepard 
20.Keenan Allen
21.DeSean Jackson 
22.Ted Ginn, Jr.
23.JuJu Smith-Schuster
24.Paul Richardson 
25.DeVante Parker
26.Robert Woods  
27.Kelvin Benjamin
28.Mohamed Sanu 
29.Rishard Matthews
30.Emmanuel Sanders 
31.Davante Adams 
32.Jermaine Kearse
33.Danny Amendola
34.Sammy Watkins 
35.Tyler Lockett
36.Jordy Nelson 
37.Corey Davis 
38.Marquise Goodwin
39.Cooper Kupp
40.Marqise Lee

Last week I was high on Ted Ginn, Jr. for the second week in a row (ESPN #36, ME #22), and I felt the need to call out the ESPN guys again!  Brees hit Ginn for a touchdown in this game, and the veteran wide receiver had double-digit fantasy points for the third time in his last four games and finished in the top-15 WRs in Week 9.  I'm still about 10 spots higher on him versus the experts, but at least they've moved him up a little bit I guess.

I was down on Pierre Garcon (ESPN #21, ME NOT RANKED), and I even waived Pierre to pick up Robby Anderson for the Thursday night game.  That was before Garcon was placed on season-ending IR by the way.  I didn't like his matchup against Patrick Peterson, who shut down Garcon in Week 4 (four catches for just 36 yards).  I could mark this one as "incomplete" since Garcon didn't even play, but I'd rather put it in the win column, so I will.

I'm high on: Paul Richardson (ESPN #39, ME #24)
Rather than talk up Ted Ginn, Jr. for a third week in a row, I'll talk up another speedster with an awesome QB throwing the ball downfield to him.  Paul Richardson quietly has three touchdowns since Seattle's Week 6 bye, and he's averaged top-5 fantasy WR numbers in those three games.  I'm not sure if Richardson will draw coverage from Patrick Peterson most of tomorrow night or not, and he's questionable with a groin injury, but I'm going for it.  Like Ginn, Richardson takes some guts to start because he doesn't get a lot of targets.  But what he does with those targets is score touchdowns, and he can burn anyone.  As long as he plays (obviously), I think he'll find the endzone and be in the WR2 conversation this week.

I'm down on: Jordy Nelson (ESPN #21, ME #36)
Image result for jordy nelsonJordy hasn't had double digit fantasy points since Week 4, and he hasn't had more than 79 receiving yards in a game all year.  He has a total of 5 catches for 48 yards in his two games with Brett Hundley as the starter, and that just doesn't scream WR2 in my world.  I'll stay down on him until Hundley shows me something, and he's nearly outside of my top-40 this week against a tough Bears defense.


TEs
1.Rob Gronkowski
2.Jimmy Graha
3.Evan Engram
4.Kyle Rudolph 
5.Jack Doyle
6.Cameron Brate
7.Delanie Walker
8.Hunter Henry  
9.Vernon Davis
10.Austin Sefarian-Jenkins  
11.Jason Witten 
12.Tyler Kroft 

This is the time of the year when it's kind of tough to have differences in tight end rankings with the experts, and that's been the case for a month now.  This week is basically no different, so let's do the defenses!

DEF
1.Rams
2.Steelers 
3.Jaguars 
4.Lions 
5.Seahawks 
6.Panthers
7.Bears 
8.Vikings  
9.Patriots
10.Jets 
11.Titans 
12.Packers

Last week I wasn't really down on any defense versus the experts, but I did like the Titans a lot (ESPN #14, ME #9).  I pointed out that if you throw out the blowout loss in Houston, the Titans have given up just over 17 PPG in their other 6 games.  Well, Tennessee held Baltimore to 20 points, and they had a pair of sacks and INTs.  They didn't finish in the top-10 where I had them, but they were right there at 11th in my league.

Image result for steelers defense
I'm high on: Pittsburgh Steelers (ESPN #8, ME #2)
This is a top-10 fantasy defense coming off their bye and facing a team giving up the MOST fantasy points to opposing fantasy defenses this year.  I'm not sure how you could rank them outside of your top-5, but ESPN's consensus ranking is almost outside of the top-10!  It's hard to nail the top one or two fantasy defenses in any given week because you can't predict defensive touchdowns, but I say Pittsburgh will be in the top-5.

I'm down on:
New Orleans Saints (ESPN #9 ME NOT RANKED)
The Saints D has been solid since a rough start to the season, but they haven't really faced many good offenses since Week 2.  I'd say maybe Detroit was the only one with a decent quarterback, and the Lions put up a lot of points on them.  I think this game in Buffalo will be high-scoring, and Tyrod and the Bills will put up plenty of points on New Orleans.  I say the Saints finish outside of the top-10 fantasy defenses this week, and I have a feeling they'll be hitting a lot of waiver wires in a couple of weeks.

Good luck to everyone in Week 10!  
(Except you, Terry...)

Cheers,
Bart

No comments:

Post a Comment