Thursday, November 13, 2014

2014 Fantasy Football Week 11 Rankings

I got back on the winning track in both of my leagues last week, but I struggled with my picks versus the ESPN experts.  Allow me to just get these out of the way right up front rather than below each position ranking.

I'll start with a couple of decent picks...
High on Kyle Orton (ESPN #17, ME #14): He continues to play the role of a serviceable bye week fill-in (although just outside of my top-20 this week).  He's nothing special, but he did finish as a top-12 QB against a tough Chiefs defense.  

Down on Mike Wallace (ESPN #14, ME #20): While he did find the endzone, he also finished outside of the top-20 WRs.  He's becoming more of a WR2 than every-week WR1.

High on Ravens Defense (ESPN #11, ME #2): They held the Titans to just 7 points and finished as a top-5 fantasy defense.  Still surprised the ESPN experts were so low on Baltimore at home in this one.

I'll admit when I'm wrong, but I still hate the Eagles...so much.
And now for the horrible picks...
Down on Mark Sanchez (ESPN #12, ME #17) and Eagles Defense (ESPN #6, ME #12): Wrong and wrong.  I was hating Philly in this one (for the record, I still hate Philly by the way).  But both Sanchez and the D proved me wrong as both were top-5 plays in Week 10.

High on Terrance Williams (ESPN #32, ME #25) and Larry Donnell (ESPN #9, ME #5): Williams put up a big goose egg against the Jags in London, and Donnell had a mere 4 catches for 26 yards. 

High on Lorenzo Taliaferro (ESPN #31, ME #24) and down on Benny Cunningham (ESPN #35, ME not ranked): I wish I could stop talking about RBs in the 30s when comparing my rankings to ESPN's, but it's the nature of the beast when my top-25 looks virtually the same as theirs.  Last week burned me as Taliaferro lost touches to Bernard Pierce seemingly out of nowhere, and Cunningham was somewhat fantasy-relevant as he at least scored against Arizona.  

Let's see what this week has in store though and get to the rankings!

BYES: Cowboys, Jaguars, Jets, Ravens

QBs
1.Aaron Rodgers  
2.Peyton Manning    
3.Andrew Luck 
4.Tom Brady
5.Drew Brees
6.Philip Rivers
7.Matthew Stafford 
8.Ben Roethlisberger
9.RGIII  
10.Matt Ryan
11.Mark Sanchez  
12.Cam Newton 
13.Colin Kaepernick 
14.Josh McCown
15.Russell Wilson    
16.Jay Cutler
17.Ryan Tannehill 
18.Eli Manning 
19.Andy Dalton 
20.Derek Carr

I'm high on: Cam Newton (ESPN #15, ME #12)   
Everyone has the Saints penciled in to win the NFC South, but that division is still up for grabs.  This week the Panthers host the Falcons, and the winner will be one step closer to making a run at the division title.  I think it'll be the Panthers who come out victorious, and Cam will then have the Week 12 bye to get a little healthier for the stretch run.  The Falcons are middle of the road when it comes to giving up fantasy points to opposing QBs, but they give up the most to opposing RBs.  I think that means that even a gimpy Cam will get some of his fantasy points with his legs, and one of his 3 TDs on Sunday will be one of the rushing variety.

I'm down on: Jay Cutler (ESPN #12, ME #16) 
ESPN actually has Cutler tied with Ryan and Sanchez at 12th, so he's somewhere in the 12-14 range.  Either way, I don't like him very much this week as he faces the 5th-stingiest defense against opposing fantasy QBs this year.  Add that to the fact that Cutler has had horrible games in 2 of his last 3, and I just can't trust him in this one. 
RBs
1.Matt Forte  
2.Arian Foster 
3.Marshawn Lynch
4.Le'Veon Bell
5.Jamaal Charles  
6.Mark Ingram
7.Eddie Lacy    
8.Alfred Morris 
9.LeSean McCoy
10.Ahmad Bradshaw
11.Andre Ellington 
12.Shane Vereen
13.Frank Gore 
14.Jeremy Hill  
15.Rashad Jennings
16.Steven Jackson 
17.Terrance West  
18.Ryan Mathews
19.Bishop Sankey  
20.Jerrick McKinnon 
21.C.J. Anderson
22.Lamar Miller
23.Joique Bell
24.Fred Jackson 
25.Tre Mason
26.Trent Richardson  
27.Darren McFadden 
28.Jonathan Stewart 
29.Ben Tate
30.Branden Oliver
31.Darren Sproles 
32.Charles Sims
33.Theo Riddick
34.Jonas Gray   
35.Bobby Rainey 
36.Andre Williams 
37.Montee Ball 
38.Bryce Brown 
39.Matt Asiata
40.Damien Williams 

I'm high on: Bishop Sankey  (ESPN #28, ME #19)
Not sure how this exists, but I love it.
Remember in Week 5 when Matthew Berry proclaimed it would be Sankey's coming out party?  Well he did...and it wasn't.  But fast forward 6 weeks, and I say that this Monday night game will be his coming out party!  What better way to do it than on a national stage and against a Steelers team that is 22nd in rushing yards per attempt?  With Shonn Greene fumbling on the goal line last week, I think the Titans finally will let Sankey have a chance at being the every-down back.  I like him as an RB2 this week and potentially the rest of the season if given the opportunity.

I'm down on: Montee Ball (ESPN #26, ME #37) 
Not only is he coming back from a groin injury that sidelined him for 5 weeks, but Montee wasn't exactly tearing it up earlier this season when he was healthy.  The ESPN guys have a lot of faith in a guy who has only hit double digit fantasy points once this season and could find himself in a three-way timeshare on Sunday.  I'd much rather start someone more likely to get the bulk of the carries like Darren McFadden or even Jonathan Stewart...and of course, Bishop Sankey (obviously).

WRs
1.Demaryius Thomas
2.Jordy Nelson 
3.Calvin Johnson 
4.Antonio Brown 
5.Randall Cobb  
6.Emmanuel Sanders  
7.Jeremy Maclin  
8.Julio Jones  
9.TY Hilton
10.A.J. Green 
11.DeSean Jackson
12.Brandon Marshall 
13.Kelvin Benjamin  
14.Golden Tate 
15.Mike Evans
16.Alshon Jeffery       
17.Roddy White  
18.Odell Beckham, Jr.   
19.Mike Wallace 
20.Martavis Bryant  
21.Sammy Watkins 
22.Brandon LaFell 
23.Keenan Allen 
24.Anquan Boldin 
25.Julian Edelman 
26.DeAndre Hopkins
27.Brandin Cooks 
28.Reggie Wayne
29.Jordan Matthews    
30.Andre Johnson 
31.Vincent Jackson 
32.Pierre Garcon   
33.Larry Fitzgerald 
34.Mohamed Sanu  
35.Dwayne Bowe
36.Michael Crabtree
37.Marques Colston 
38.Rueben Randle 
39.Cordarrelle Patterson
40.James Jones 


I'm high on: Keenan Allen (ESPN #28, ME #23)  
This is more of a hunch than anything, but I feel like Rivers is going to start a new season with Allen following their bye week.  The targets have been there, but the production just hasn't been.  I think Keenan will get it going at home against the Raiders.

I'm down on: Vincent Jackson (ESPN #22, ME #31) 
While I realize the Redskins have a horrible secondary, VJax hasn't scored a touchdown since Week 4.  It's Mike Evans who has been going off for the Bucs (not Jackson), and I think that continues on Sunday in Washington.  
TEs
1.Rob Gronkowski
2.Jimmy Graham 
3.Julius Thomas    
4.Antonio Gates 
5.Greg Olsen 
6.Dwayne Allen 
7.Martellus Bennett
8.Mychal Rivera
9.Travis Kelce 
10.Larry Donnell 
11.Jordan Reed  
12.Charles Clay 
13.Coby Fleener 
14.Austin Sefarian-Jenkins
15.Kyle Rudolph (if active) or Chase Ford (if Rudolph inactive)

I'm high on: Mychael Rivera (ESPN #13, ME #8)  
Don't expect to see this again on Sunday.
He did nothing against the Chargers in Week 6, but since then he has become a much bigger part of the game plan.  He is averaging 7 catches in his last 3 games, and he had 3 TDs in his last two.  My top-7 TEs are exactly the same as ESPN's, but after that I don't see why you wouldn't give Rivera a shot.

I'm down on: Jared Cook (ESPN #11, ME not ranked) 
The Broncos give up a lot of fantasy points to this position, but I just can't see trusting Cook at all.  He had one big play that turned into a touchdown last week in Arizona, but in his previous 3 games he had a grand total of 6 catches for 48 yards.  I'd definitely look elsewhere for a TE option this week. 
DEF
1.Broncos
2.Lions
3.Dolphins 
4.Browns
5.Chargers
6.Cardinals
7.Bills
8.Seahawks  
9.49ers
10.Steelers
11.Chiefs 
12.Texans 
13.Packers
14.Saints
15.Vikings


I'm high on: Browns (ESPN #15, ME #4)
The last time I was high on the Browns versus the ESPN experts it worked out pretty well.  I'm going back to Cleveland where they'll be facing Ryan Mallett in his first NFL start.  Sure, he's not a rookie.  He sat behind Tom Brady for two years and theoretically was learning from one of the best of all time.  But in reality, we've only seen what he can do in college and in the preseason.  Meanwhile, the Browns are balling out and are at the top of one of the best divisions in all of football...and they're doing it with a solid run game and defense.  They're a top-10 fantasy defense this season, and they've been a top-5 squad in their last 4 games.  They give up the 6th fewest points per game in the NFL, so I think they'll keep the Texans out of the endzone for the most part.  None of the experts are even ranking Mallett in their top-25 this week, so I would imagine they're all expecting as poor of a performance as I am from him.  It's just curious why none of them ranked the Browns D higher than 11th...

I'm down on: Patriots (ESPN #13, ME not ranked)  
There are a handful of teams I didn't even consider this week based on their horrible matchups: the Rams (who are facing Peyton Manning), Colts (against red-hot Tom Brady and company), Eagles (playing against Rodgers in Lambeau), and the Patriots (who face Andrew Luck coming off a bye).  Most of the ESPN experts had three of those teams well outside of their top-15, but the majority of them ranked New England way too high in my opinion.  Indy is giving up the 5th-fewest fantasy points to opposing defenses, and I don't see that changing against the Pats or anyone else for that matter.

That's it for Week 11.  Good luck everyone (except you, Mike).

Cheers,
Bart

No comments:

Post a Comment