Thursday, November 6, 2014

2014 Fantasy Football Week 10 Rankings


I've now had back-to-back losses in my money league, but I'm starting to string together some wins in my fun league.

[very soft, trailing off "yaaaaaaaay"]

This week, the byes are hitting harder than ever.  You just have to keep putting your best lineup out there and hope for the best.  Oh, and make some trades if people in your league are up for that kind of thing.  Many trade deadlines are this week or next, so don't forget about that.

But enough with the small talk.  Let's do the rankings!

BYES: Chargers, Colts, Patriots, Redskins, Texans, Vikings

QBs
1.Aaron Rodgers  
2.Peyton Manning
3.Ben Roethlisberger
4.Drew Brees
5.Russell Wilson 
6.Carson Palmer
7.Matt Ryan
8.Jay Cutler
9.Cam Newton  
10.Matthew Stafford 
11.Tony Romo
12.Colin Kaepernick 
13.Joe Flacco
14.Kyle Orton
15.Ryan Tannehill 
16.Andy Dalton 
17.Mark Sanchez
18.Eli Manning 
19.Josh McCown
20.Derek Carr

Stop.  Mallett Time.
Brian Hoyer (ESPN #17, ME not ranked in top-20) was actually a top-15 QB in Week 9, but Ryan Fitzpatrick (ESPN #21, ME #16) cracked the top-10!  So while I was wrong on the Hoyer pick, if you took my advice and played Fitzpatrick with your starter on a bye, you were pretty happy.  I'm still not ranking Hoyer this week, as he plays tonight in Cincy.  Fitzpatrick is on a bye, and apparently he has lost his job to Ryan Mallett while the team has some time off.  Crazy...
I'm high on: Kyle Orton (ESPN #17, ME #14)   
Kansas City hasn't been too forgiving to opposing QBs this season, but Kyle Orton has been no slouch since taking over for EJ Manuel in Week 5.  I don't expect 4 TD passes like he had against the Jets in Week 8, but I think he'll throw for 250 yards, a couple of touchdowns, and probably a pick.  That should land him close to the top-12 in a week with 6 byes, and I like him as a bye week fill-in.

I'm down on: Mark Sanchez (ESPN #12, ME #17) 
Excuse me for not getting excited over Mr. Buttfumble, but I just can't.  Matthew Berry actually ranked him 9th this week.  NINTH!  I realize the Panthers are giving up top-10 fantasy numbers to opposing QBs this year, but they've also played some high end QBs in the first half of the season.  I also realize the "Chip Kelly system" argument, but Sanchez is not one of those high end QBs, and I can't believe in him after just the small sample of what we saw in Houston.  Maybe he'll be a fine fill-in this week if you own someone like Luck or Brady, but there are lots of other guys I'd rather start over him this week and probably the rest of the season.

Sorry.  I couldn't help myself...
RBs
1.Matt Forte
2.DeMarco Murray  
3.Marshawn Lynch 
4.Ronnie Hillman 
5.Jamaal Charles 
6.LeSean McCoy
7.Andre Ellington
8.Le'Veon Bell  
9.Eddie Lacy  
10.Jeremy Hill
11.Mark Ingram
12.Justin Forsett
13.Denard Robinson
14.Lamar Miller
15.Bobby Rainey
16.Joique Bell
17.Chris Ivory 
18.Frank Gore 
19.Steven Jackson
20.Reggie Bush 
21.Terrance West  
22.Andre Williams
23.Tre Mason 
24.Lorenzo Taliaferro 
25.Darren Sproles
26.Boobie Dixon 
27.Darren McFadden
28.Ben Tate
29.Charles Sims
30.Bishop Sankey 
31.DeAngelo Williams  
32.Chris Johnson
33.Jonathan Stewart 
34.Knile Davis
35.Bryce Brown 
36.James Starks
37.Peyton Hillis 
38.Montee Ball
39.Toby Gerhart  
40.Cedric Peerman

Like my QB picks, I was split with the RBs as well.  Travaris Cadet (ESPN #35, ME #27) didn't do much against the Panthers on Thursday night in a game that saw poor numbers from WRs Colston and Cooks as well.  Cadet finished outside of the top-40 RBs, and Mark Ingram continued to be the man for the Saints.  As for Isaiah Crowell (ESPN #37, ME not ranked), he's clearly been passed by Terrance West on the depth chart.  In fact, West may have even passed over Ben Tate!  I don't know what's happening in the Browns backfield, but I know I wouldn't rank Crowell anytime soon.  He didn't play one snap against Tampa Bay last Sunday, and it's time to stop ranking guys like him and Zac Stacy in the top-40, ESPN!

I'm high on: Lorenzo Taliaferro  (ESPN #31, ME #24)
Hey.  At least he hasn't been THIS year's Zac Stacy...
The ESPN experts have no problem ranking Charles Sims in their top-30 this week, so why not Taliaferro?  At least he has shown what he can do this season, but Sims hasn't played a snap yet!  As for Lorenzo, I think he'll continue to get in the mix and at minimum get ALL of the goal line work.  He should find the end zone this week against a Tennessee run defense that gives up a ton of points.  He might only end up with 25 yards and a TD, but that should be enough to crack the top-25.

I'm down on: Benny Cunningham (ESPN #35, ME not ranked) 
The Rams are not a great offense, and Cunningham has become just a change of pace back to Tre Mason.  Add that to the fact that he'll be playing in Arizona this week, and I don't want any part of Benny.  The Cardinals are giving up the 2nd-fewest fantasy points to opposing RBs this season, just behind the Ravens.  You might consider starting Mason this week, but not Cunningham.
WRs
1.Antonio Brown 
2.Jordy Nelson 
3.Demaryius Thomas
4.Jeremy Maclin 
5.Randall Cobb  
6.Calvin Johnson  
7.Julio Jones
8.Dez Bryant   
9.Emmanuel Sanders 
10.Brandon Marshall
11.A.J. Green 
12.Kelvin Benjamin 
13.Alshon Jeffery 
14.Sammy Watkins   
15.Roddy White
16.Mohamed Sanu   
17.Golden Tate
18.Larry Fitzgerald 
19.Martavis Bryant   
20.Mike Wallace
21.Steve Smith, Sr.
22.Percy Harvin
23.Odell Beckham, Jr.
24.Vincent Jackson  
25.Terrance Williams 
26.Mike Evans 
27.Torrey Smith
28.Doug Baldwin
29.Eric Decker
30.Rueben Randle  
31.Brandin Cooks 
32.Michael Floyd 
33.Marques Colston 
34.Anquan Boldin 
35.Andrew Hawkins
36.Michael Crabtree  
37.Kendall Wright   
38.Allen Robinson
39.Davante Adams 
40.Dwayne Bowe

In Week 9, Dwayne Bowe (ESPN #44, ME #31) got 10 targets and finished with 6 catches for 55 yards.  He was a top-40 WR but not quite as high as where I had him ranked.  He's hanging on for dear life on my list, and you'll find him right at the bottom.  Meanwhile, Brandon LaFell (ESPN #15, ME #22) actually got 13 targets but only caught 6 of them himself for 53 yards.  The difference between him and Bowe was that LaFell found the endzone.  Still, he finished exactly where I had him ranked at #22.  I guess I'll call that one a win.

I might miss Terrance next year when I'm picking keepers.
I'm high on: Terrance Williams (ESPN #32, ME #25)  
Of course this is assuming Romo plays, but ESPN's ranking also assumed that so all things are equal here.  As of this writing, I have Terrance Williams leaving my fantasy team in a multi-player trade.  So of course I like him this week to have a good day, right?  The thing is, I would have ranked him this highly either way.  If you disregard last week when he had Brandon Weeden throwing to him, the guy is having a great year.  People will argue that he's not getting the targets to rank him this highly, but all the guy does is score touchdowns.  And against the Jags, I don't see why that trend stops.  I'm actually pretty surprised that none of the ESPN guys ranked him higher than 29th!

I'm down on: Mike Wallace (ESPN #14, ME #20) 
Don't look now, but Mike Wallace only has 5 catches for 109 yards and zero TDs in his last two games combined.  This week the Dolphins travel to Detroit where they'll face one of the best defenses in the league.  In fact, the Lions have given up the fewest receiving touchdowns this year (9).  I think it's very possible Wallace has another game where he only manages 5 or 6 fantasy points.
TEs
1.Jimmy Graham
2.Julius Thomas
3.Martellus Bennett
4.Greg Olsen 
5.Larry Donnell 
6.Travis Kelce 
7.Owen Daniels
8.Jason Witten 
9.Delanie Walker
10.Heath Miller 
11.Zach Ertz 
12.Mychal Rivera
13.Charles Clay 
14.Vernon Davis
15.Scott Chandler

Once again, my tight end rankings are pretty much the same as ESPN's this week.  I do like Larry Donnell more than most (ESPN #9, ME #5), as I'm ranking him the same as Matthew Berry.  The Seahawks have a solid secondary, but they have been giving up a lot of points to the TE position this year.  I like Donnell to have 50 yards and a touchdown this week in Seattle.
DEF
1.Cardinals 
2.Ravens
3.Broncos
4.Seahawks
5.Cowboys 
6.Lions
7.Bills 
8.Bengals
9.Dolphins
10.Chiefs
11.Steelers 
12.Eagles
13.Saints 
14.Packers 
15.Panthers

Well I was wrong about the Redskins being a top-10 fantasy defense last week in Minnesota.  It was double-frustrating because as a fan, I know they could have won that game if they had continued to play well on the defensive side of the ball.  Now we go into the bye week at 3-6 instead of 4-5, and the season is starting to appear as lost one once again.

As for the Eagles (ESPN #5, ME not ranked), they did finish as a top-12 fantasy defense.  However, I'm still not going to be ranking them as a top-10 fantasy defense most weeks...especially now that Foles is out, as I expect Sanchez could often give the opposition good field position.  They're still in my rankings, but I continue to have them much lower than the ESPN experts.

Ravens D...Ngata bad play this week.  See what I did there?
I'm high on: Ravens (ESPN #11, ME #2)
Aside from a rough one last week in Pittsburgh, the Ravens have been a top-10 fantasy defense pretty much every week this year.  Not only is this game in Baltimore where they've been much better than on the road, but it's against a rookie QB in just his second NFL start.  With Tennessee already giving up top-10 fantasy numbers to opposing defenses, dial up the Ravens against Zach Mettenberger and the rest of his crew.

I'm down on: Eagles (ESPN #6, ME #12)  
Let's go back to the well and keep the Philly hate alive.  I just can't get behind this defense, and as I mentioned, I fully expect Sanchez to give Cam Newton some short fields to work with and put up plenty of points.  Newton also doesn't typically throw a ton of picks, and he can be slippery if the Panthers let him run out of the pocket.  I'm chalking up the early success of Philly's D to all of those defensive touchdowns, and you just can't count on those from week to week.

That's it for Week 10.  Good luck everyone (except you, Jimmy).

Cheers,
Bart

No comments:

Post a Comment