Wednesday, October 28, 2015

2015 Fantasy Football Week 8 Rankings

Last week, I talked a lot about not being able to play the right guy between Steve Smith and Jordan Matthews.  I even gave you a breakdown by week of my use of those two.  (You probably skipped it and went straight to the rankings.  It's cool.)

Still trying to figure out what to do with this guy...
Well, I'll tell you what happened anyway!  I benched Matthews against Carolina and rolled with Steve Smith in Arizona.  It turns out the old man was definitely the right pick, and I think he'll continue to be the right one moving forward.  Flacco looooves him some Steve Smith.  Now I just have to figure out who to play between LeGarrette Blount and Little Danny Woodhead!

Last week, I played Blount at my FLEX spot and was very disappointed.  He actually finished with negative points, while Woodhead blew up in garbage time on my bench.  Luckily it didn't matter, as I won my matchup anyway.  But it's a decision I'll be faced with as long as all of my RBs are healthy (knock on wood).  This week, I have them all right there as RB2s, and I'll probably be deciding between Blount tomorrow night or Latavius Murray in the worst possible matchup (facing the Jets run D).

But enough about my team.  I know you don't care about it.  

Let's do the rankings!


BYES: Bills, Eagles, Jags, Redskins


QBs
1.Tom Brady 
2.Philip Rivers
3.Carson Palmer 
4.Andy Dalton 
5.Aaron Rodgers
6.Matt Ryan 
7.Cam Newton   
8.Drew Brees
9.Andrew Luck
10.Ryan Tannehill  
11.Matthew Stafford  
12.Ryan Fitzpatrick 
13.Eli Manning  
14.Russell Wilson
15.Peyton Manning 

I nailed it with my QB picks versus the ESPN experts last week.  I said you should have looked for another option at QB if you were a Tyrod owner (ESPN #12, ME NOT RANKED).  Sure enough, he was ruled out on Thursday.  Good job, ESPN.  Ha!  Also, I was high on Derek Carr (ESPN #20, ME #15), and he finished as a top-5 fantasy quarterback against the Chargers. 

This week, there are some tough matchups for top tier QBs and some easy matchups for some of the next set of signal callers.  So my QB rankings feel a bit all over the place...

I'm high on: Andy Dalton (ESPN #6, ME #4) & Ryan Fitzpatrick (ESPN #16, ME #12)
I don't have too many QBs that I'm high on versus the experts this week, so I thought I'd just highlight both of these guys once again.  I continue to be higher than the ESPN guys on them week in and week out, and all they do is continue to put up big numbers.  I think both will be good plays again this week.

Yeah he looks ready.
I'm down on: Ben Roethlisberger (ESPN #8, ME NOT RANKED) 
Much like my Tyrod call last week, I just don't think Big Ben plays this week.  All signs are pointing to him not being 100% healthy, and I don't think Tomlin would put him out there if he's not ready.  Even if he does play, he'll be facing a Bengals defense that is coming off their bye week and is much better against the pass than the run.  I expect the Steelers to try to run the ball a lot in this game, whether Ben plays or not.  If we find out he's going to start this game, play him at your own risk.  I'd probably rank him around 12th if that does end up being the case, still much lower than the ESPN experts.

RBs
1.Todd Gurley
2.Devonta Freeman
3.Le'Veon Bell   
4.Adrian Peterson 
5.Marshawn Lynch
6.Matt Forte
7.Justin Forsett  
8.Mark Ingram 
9.Chris Johnson
10.Doug Martin 
11.Chris Ivory
12.Lamar Miller 
13.Charcandrick West 
14.Jonathan Stewart 
15.Giovani Bernard
16.Frank Gore 
17.Ronnie Hillman
18.Dion Lewis 
19.Jeremy Hill 
20.Eddie Lacy 
21.Latavius Murray
22.Danny Woodhead 
23.LeGarrette Blount  
24.Darren McFadden 
25.Alfred Blue 
26.Carlos Hyde 
27.Duke Johnson 
28.Antonio Andrews 
29.Ameer Abdullah
30.Charles Sims 
31.CJ Anderson 
32.Shane Vereen 
33.Melvin Gordon 
34.Rashad Jennings 
35.James Starks
I told you that Charcandrick West (ESPN #28, ME #19) was primed for a breakout game, even against a Steeler defense that had only given up 1 rushing TD all year (and less than 100 rushing yards/game).  It turns out I was right, as West finished as a top-10 fantasy RB in Week 7.  Now that I look at my Week 8 matchup in my money league, I'll be facing him as he plays against the Lions in London.  I'm hoping he slows down a little, but I now have him as a top-15 play.  The guy I was down on was Shane Vereen (ESPN #32, ME NOT RANKED).  He actually finished right around 30th for the week, but I'd still much rather play a guy likely to get a lot of touches and potentially even some goal line work.

I'm high on: Ronnie Hillman (ESPN #24, ME #17) 
Hillman has gone for over 100 rushing yards in 2 of his last 3 games.  The Broncos are coming off their bye week, and I have a feeling he'll get the majority of the work against Green Bay.  I think he'll get close to 100 (total) yards and find the end zone.

I'm down on: Carlos Hyde (ESPN #19, ME #26) 
While I'm not sure I'm buying that this guy is playing through a stress fracture in his foot, I think it's clear he's not 100% healthy.  This week he's facing a Rams defense that is really tough, and I don't see the 49ers getting much of anything going against them.  Since his Week 1 explosion, Hyde has only broken double-digit fantasy points once (Week 5 against the Giants).  I think he'll stay well into the single digits this week in St. Louis.
WRs
1.Julio Jones 
2.DeAndre Hopkins  
3.Calvin Johnson
4.Keenan Allen    
5.Odell Beckham, Jr.  
6.AJ Green 
7.Brandon Marshall 
8.Antonio Brown 
9.Demaryius Thomas 
10.Alshon Jeffery
11.Larry Fitzgerald 
12.Mike Evans
13.Julian Edelman 
14.John Brown 
15.Jarvis Landry 
16.Emmanuel Sanders  
17.Jeremy Maclin 
18.Randall Cobb
19.Steve Smith 
20.Martavis Bryant 
21.TY Hilton
22.Eric Decker  
23.Stefon Diggs 
24.Brandin Cooks
25.Amari Cooper  
26.Golden Tate
27.James Jones 
28.Kendall Wright 
29.Donte Moncrief
30.Rishard Matthews
31.Travis Benjamin
32.Tavon Austin 
33.Marvin Jones
34.Willie Snead
35.Michael Floyd

Last week I was high on Allen Hurns (ESPN #21, ME #13) and down on Mike Wallace (ESPN #31, ME NOT RANKED).  I said that Hurns would go for 100 yards and a touchdown, but I was off by about 50 yards (he did score though).  He finished right around where ESPN ranked him, but you were still happy if you started him.  As for Mike Wallace, he once again took a backseat to rookie Stefon Diggs.  Wallace only finished with 36 receiving yards, while Diggs went over 100 and found the endzone.

I hope the Browns can slow down...Brown. But they won't.
I'm high on: John Brown (ESPN #22, ME #14)
This week I'm high on another guy I'm playing against in my money league.  This time it's John Brown, who is averaging 13 fantasy points in his last 4 games.  He has 2 touchdowns in his last 3 games, and I think the Cardinals should put up plenty of points in Cleveland this week.  John Brown should carve out a sizeable piece of what should be a big Carson Palmer fantasy  day.


I'm down on: Michael Crabtree (ESPN #25, ME NOT RANKED) 
You only have to look back to Week 5 to see when I was really down on Crabtree versus the ESPN experts.  That game was against the tough Broncos defense, and I was right then in thinking Crabtree wouldn't do much.  This week the Raiders face the Jets, and I don't see much difference in the outcome.  I'd say pencil him in for 5 catches for 40 or 50 yards, but that's about it.

TEs
1.Rob Gronkowski 
2.Greg Olsen
3.Tyler Eifert
4.Gary Barnidge
5.Martellus Bennett 
6.Travis Kelce
7.Ladarius Green
8.Jimmy Graham
9.Delanie Walker 
10.Jason Witten

I was high on Gary Barnidge again last week (ESPN #7, ME #4), and yet again he put up double-digit fantasy points.  I also got Jordan Reed back into my top-10, but I should have gotten him into my fantasy lineup.  He was the top tight end in Week 7, as the Redskins now go into their bye week still in the hunt in the second worst division in the NFL.

This week I face Gronk in my money league, and I'm not looking forward to that.  I just hope he doesn't have one of his HUGE games (and just like a pretty good one).  The ESPN experts continue to rank Jordan Cameron in their top-10, and I continue not to.  I mean, I guess he's getting a decent amount of targets, but I'd definitely start someone like Eric Ebron or even Benjamin Watson over him, both of whom just barely missed my top-10 this week.  You'll notice Ladarius Green up there instead of Gates, who I think will likely miss another week due to injury (and could even end up sitting out through San Diego's Week 10 bye at this point).

DEF
1.Rams
2.Seahawks
3.Cardinals  
4.Panthers
5.Jets  
6.Vikings
7.Packers
8.Falcons
9.Patriots 
10.Broncos

I was right about the Skins D.  You LIKE THAT?!?
Last week I played against the Seahawks in my money league, and I was high on them versus the ESPN experts (ESPN #4, ME #1).  After watching the first half of that Thursday night game, I was actually surprised the 49ers scored against them at all.  They didn't finish as the top fantasy defense in Week 7, but they were a top-5 squad, and the only other highly ranked defense going into the week who finished ahead of them was the Rams.  I also was down on my Redskins (ESPN #6 ME #NOT RANKED), as I just have a hard time ranking them at all as a fantasy defense no matter WHAT the matchup.  Turns out I was right about this one, as they gave up 24 points in the first half!  Thankfully, Washington had the biggest comeback in franchise history and managed to beat the Bucs, but their D finished in the bottom-10 for the week. 

Two of the top fantasy defenses this season have been the Broncos and the Packers.  This week, they face each other on Sunday Night Football (IN AMERICA!).  Both teams should be well rested coming off their bye weeks, but it was tough ranking both of these units in my top-10.  In the end I did, but they're definitely much lower than they likely will be in the weeks to come.  Speaking of my top-10, it was basically the same as ESPN's (just in a little different order).  I could say I'm down on the Patriots (ESPN #4, ME #9), but I don't want to hate on the fantasy defense I'm likely to start in my money league.  It just seems like a cop out, and obviously I believe in them enough to start them...so, yeah.  And I'm not really down on any defense that the ESPN experts like (other than maybe the Texans, who I will continue to hate on).  So with that, I'll just end this thing.

Good luck to everyone in Week 8!  
(Except you, Mike...)

Cheers,
Bart

No comments:

Post a Comment